AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Duke Lemur Center (DLC) is part of Duke University, a Research I university. The DLC is a specialized center with a focus on non-invasive research, conservation breeding, education of students and the general public, and conservation work in Madagascar. The Curator will plan, manage, coordinate and participate in a variety of curatorial and administrative activities for the DLC animal collection of approximately 250 prosimian primates. The Curator will manage the animal colony for sustainability and strategic growth and to support research use, conservation and education goals. The Curator will support DLC staff to insure best practices in all aspects of animal care, research and management. The “Curator, Living Animal Collection” reports to the Director and Director of Operations and Administration.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree in Zoology, Biology or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience and Skill Requirements
• Minimum 10 years’ experience with primate care and management or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in animal collection management or equivalent experience.
• Experience with exotic species management in a research environment.
• Experience collaborating with AZA program (Taxon Advisory Groups, SSPs)
Job Skill Requirements
• Job duties require advanced knowledge of a specialized field
• Extensive knowledge of primate biology, husbandry and captive management, including prosimians.
• Excellent communication and team-building skills.
• Work requires excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to adapt to diverse work situations and to adjust to shifting priorities.
Duke University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
All resumes and cover letters must be submitted electronically through Duke University’s Human Resource Department’s website (hr.duke.edu). Use reference number 401240437 to access to the official job posting. Resumes must be received by April 14th.
Duke Lemur Center3705 Erwin RoadDurham, NC 27705Phone: 919.401.7224Fax: 919.490.5394
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.