AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Description: Under general supervision, employee will perform a wide range of functions in the Lorikeet Aviary at the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere. Primary responsibility is to feed, clean, and maintain assigned collection animals; animal exhibits, yards, night enclosures, and contiguous areas; perform light exhibit construction; operate zoo vehicles; maintain integrity of existing landscape. Additionally, employee will be responsible for educating the public through daily interaction with guests, as well as providing a clean and safe atmosphere for families to enjoy the Nashville Zoo.
Duties and Responsibilities:
General knowledge of:
• Animal behavior and common medical issues
• Care, feeding, and handling of exotic and domestic animals
• Safety practices around exotic and domestic animals
• Animal biology or zoology or other related field
• Techniques for restraining and capturing exotic and domestic animals
• Zoo policy and procedures
• Computer skills
• Experience in hospitality, customer services and/or retail customer contact
Communication (capable of):
• Taking and following work instructions
• Able to work individually while still maintaining communication with others in the department
• Effective communication and conflict resolution with coworkers and supervisors
• Interacting and communicating with the general public in an appropriate manner
• Reporting any animal care or departmental concerns to appropriate supervisor in a timely manner
• Completely performing the responsibilities outlined in the “Duties and Responsibilities” section
• Working in a team oriented atmosphere while possessing independent problem solving skills
• Scheduling flexibility to include special events, behind-the-scene tours, etc.
• Monitoring animal behavior and appearance
• Operating motorized vehicles and equipment; applicant must possess a valid driver’s license
• Maintaining USDA guidelines
• Maintaining MSDS guidelines concerning chemicals
• Attend and participate in staff training workshops
Must be able to work outside year-round under typical Tennessee weather conditions and temperatures for extended periods of time. Must be able to work in uneven terrain with exposure to varying weather conditions, dust, and allergens. Must be able to move about on slippery surfaces, handle toxic and hazardous materials and work in cramped and confined spaces. Must be able to lift and carry materials up to 75 pounds.
Must have a BS or AS in zoology, animal biology, animal husbandry or related field, and/or at least one year of work experience at a zoological facility or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required work skills, knowledge, and abilities. Strong consideration given to those with psittacine and neonate experience.
Applicants for this position are required to submit to a criminal background check and pass a drug test.
Applicant may be required to work any combination of five days in the seven day workweek including holidays and varied after hour events and feeding schedules as needed.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Phone Calls Please
Nashville Zoo is an EEO Institution and a Drug Free Workplace.
Nashville Zoo3777 Nolensville Road NashvilleNashville, TN 37211Phone: 615 8331534
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.