AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Under the broad direction of the Director of Education and working collaboratively with the Education Leadership Team, the Director of Audience Engagement and Strategic Initiatives will oversee the Learning and Engagement Unit that includes Professional development (teachers and conservation professionals), Youth Engagement (youth development program that includes programs, volunteering, and STEM career development), and Live Interpretation (general public learning and engagement in our parks).
Professional Development Unit:
• Oversee the direction of the Professional Development unit. This includes supporting the manager in program management, delivering innovative programs based on trends, and establishing new revenue streams through earned or funded programming.
• Act as the WCS executive partner of the Urban Advantage program, working to maintain the partnership and explore new ways to expand our role and replicate it with other audiences.
• Act as the lead WCS representative of the Master’s degree program with WCS and University of Miami of Ohio - Advanced Inquiry Program working to maintain the partnership and explore new ways to connect student projects with the key needs of the organization.
• Take a leadership role in establishing WCS Education support of WCS staff learning in the WCSU program.
Live Interpretation Unit:
• Oversee the direction of the Live Interpretation program at all 5 WCS parks. This includes overseeing, with the support of multiple departments, the creation and implementation of a WCS-wide Live Interpretation plan.
• Work with Curators of Education to implement innovative live interpretation in all parks.
• Partner with Global Resources to secure funding for interpretive programming, with a particular focus on the New York Aquarium and Bronx Zoo.
Youth Development Unit:
• Support the Coordinator of Youth Development in the creation and management of a WCS-wide STEM career lattice program.
• Work with other departments including Human Resources, in establishing clear youth career pathways.
• Create a Youth Development plan with the Manager to support youth in a variety of learning and engagement environments.
Education Leadership Role:
• Work with the Director of Educational Research and Evaluation to create and implement a department-wide research and evaluation plan to obtain meaningful metrics to ensure that the department is meeting goals and contributing to the overall success of WCS.
• Monitor budgets on a monthly basis, developing quarterly, annual and other reports as required.
• Interview, hire, supervise, and evaluate the performance of Lifelong Learning and Engagement managers. Develops systems to monitor program quality and ensure exemplary educational and scientific outcomes.
• Cultivate and actively maintain close working relationships with all WCS Zoo and Aquarium departments and department leaders to ensure programs and staff are extensively supported.
• Manage federal and other grants, promotes and advances programs, evaluates efficacy, and manages budgets.
• Take an active role in senior leadership in the Education Department including developing strategic plans to meet WCS-wide mission and managing the plans to ensure goals are met.
• Will take a leadership role in AZA and IZEA to demonstrate leadership for WCS Education and contribute to the collective learning necessary to move the field of informal education forward.
• When required, serves as the division’s representative to the, NYC Department of Education, and other education-related entities, and internally with cross departmental projects.
• Participates in WCS-wide committees and contributes to the success of the committees, working towards reaching the goals outlined in WCS2020.
• Graduate degree in education (or related field) from an accredited college or university, PhD preferred
• 7+ years progressive experience in zoo/informal science education
• 5+ years of proven leadership in education
• Demonstrated experience in program development, curriculum design and assessment
• Experience with federally funded grants and initiatives
• Experience with complex budgets
• Able to clearly communicate in multiple modalities
• Commit to fostering an inclusive and diverse learning environment
Please apply for this position at http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers
Wildlife Conservation Society2300 Southern BlvdBronx, NY 10460
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.