AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Brandywine Zoo is seeking outgoing applicants who are pursuing degrees in the biology field with an interest in animal husbandry. Interns in this position will work with staff to perform daily husbandry for the Zoo’s collection of over 20 animals, including mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. Program animal interns will also provide live animal encounters, assist with animal shows/demos, or other programs for the public, as necessary.
This position is flexible, with a minimum of two days per week required, maximum of five days per week. Hours for this position are 8am-4pm. We’re looking for an individual with great people skills (especially with children!), is a self-starter, able to work as part of a team and independently, energetic, positive, creative, a positive sense of humor and has a passion for the environment!
• Must be comfortable handling a variety of live animals, including reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and mammals, and knowledgeable about their natural history.
• Must have good time management skills, with the ability to complete designated tasks in a punctual manner.
• Attention to detail is necessary for making observations, recording data and completing day-to-day husbandry tasks.
• Applicants must be working toward or already have a degree in Biology, Psychology, Animal Science, Pre-Vet, Wildlife Conservation, or other Biological Sciences.
• Must have an interest in working with the general public; especially children ages 4-13.
• Must exhibit consistent professional characteristics such as a positive attitude, ability to show initiative, emotional maturity and self-responsibility.
• Comfortable with public speaking.
Term start and end dates are flexible.
• At least 18 years old with valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Provide proof of negative TB Test within the last 12 months before start date
• Good physical condition: able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, kneel, crouch, and able to work in all weather
• Be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication)
• Overall GPA must be 2.5 or higher
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently
• Willing to assist with administrative, customer relations, and housekeeping tasks and possibly animal care
• Able to commit to upholding all Zoo safety and personnel policies, and support the overall mission
• Able to professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the
• Performing daily husbandry for a variety of reptiles, amphibians, mammals and invertebrates.
• Able to follow protocols to prevent the spread of zoonotic diseases and maintain high levels of animal safety.
• Ability to work weekend days and flexible hours as schedules dictate.
• Deliver public education programs and encounters, as necessary.
Interns receive free admission to all Delaware State Parks and the opportunity to attend most programs and activities at no fee
1) Complete online intern application at http://destateparks.com/volunteers/interns/apply.asp
Application Notes: Applications will be considered on a continual basis until May 1, 2016 or once all positions have been filled. Please note that candidates will also need to complete the online intern application found at www.destateparks.com/internship, and resumes and cover letters will not be considered until this application is completed. Be sure to select ‘Brandywine Zoo’ in any questions designating your interest areas to insure your
application arrives at the zoo.
Please Note-All Delaware State Parks Interns are required to undergo and successfully complete a background check performed
by the Division. The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal
opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.
Brandywine Zoo1001 North Park DriveWilmington, DE 19802
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.