AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Brandywine Zoo is seeking a dynamic and engaging person to join our education team this summer! We are searching for a dedicated candidate to fill our Outreach Program Internship. This is a 3-5 day per week position, typically working 8:00am-4:00pm. Some weekends or evenings may be required. This person will serve as an offsite Educator and work as part of the Education Department at the Brandywine Zoo. The role of the Outreach Program Intern is to lead and/or assist with our Traveling Zoo program, which runs informal and formal education opportunities, or attends special events, offsite for the Zoo during the summer. We are looking for an individual with great people skills (especially with children!), someone who can work independently and take initiative, able to work as part of a team, is energetic, positive, creative, has sense of humor and a passion for the environment! Traveling Zoo Interns are expected to be fun, safe, conscientious, and gets along well with others. Outreach Program Interns must complete animal handling training and be willing to handle reptiles and invertebrates. Interested and qualified candidates may also assist in program animal husbandry.
• Applicants must be working toward or already have a degree in Education, Recreation, Museum Studies, Animal Science, or other Biological Sciences.
• Must have an interest in working with the general public; especially children ages 4-13.
• Must be comfortable handling a variety of live animals, including reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and mammals, and knowledgeable about their natural history.
• Must exhibit consistent professional characteristics such as a positive attitude, ability to show initiative, emotional maturity and self-responsibility.
• Comfortable with public speaking, including speaking over a microphone or loud speaker.
• At least 18 years old with valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Provide proof of negative TB Test within the last 12 months before start date
• Good physical condition: able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, kneel, crouch, and able to work in all weather
• Be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication)
• Overall GPA must be 2.5 or higher
• Good organizational skills
• Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently
• Willing to assist with administrative, customer relations, and housekeeping tasks and possibly animal care
• Able to commit to upholding all Zoo safety and personnel policies, and support the overall mission
• Able to professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the
• Complete a project of the intern’s own design, and approved by zoo staff, during the internship period
Term start and end dates are flexible.
This position will include regular hours on weekends, and possibly evenings and holidays.
• Developing, implementing, presenting and evaluating Traveling Zoo programs that engage and inspire audiences through fun, exciting, and safe animal encounters that promote the mission of the Brandywine Zoo.
• Training and presenting for outreach programs and other live animal demonstrations of all types to both large and small audiences on a regular basis.
• Completing animal handling training in a timely manner.
• Ensuring all aspects of the outreach program operation is running efficiently. This includes strong communication with the vendor to ensure program scheduling is accurate, and that programs are carried out professionally and always on time.
• Ability to work weekend days and flexible hours as schedules dictate.
• Upkeep of zoo vehicle
o Making sure program vehicle is stocked with flyers and brochures
o Keeping vehicle clean and organized
Interns receive free admission to all Delaware State Parks and the opportunity to attend most programs and activities at no fee
-Complete online intern application by following the link at the bottom of the page below:
Application Notes: Applications will be considered on a continual basis until May 1, 2017 or once all positions have been filled.
Please note that candidates will also need to complete the online intern application found at www.destateparks.com/internship, and resumes and cover letters will not be considered until this application is completed. Be sure to select ‘Brandywine Zoo’ in any questions designating your interest areas to insure your application arrives at the zoo.
Please Note-All Delaware State Parks Interns are required to undergo and successfully complete a background check performed by the Division. The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.
Brandywine Zoo1001 North Park DriveWilmington, DE 19808
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.