AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The mission of Lindsay Wildlife Experience is connecting people and wildlife to inspire responsibility and respect for the world we share. Located in Walnut Creek, CA, Lindsay’s Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital is widely recognized as the first rehabilitation center in the United States. Our team of veterinarians, rehabilitation technicians, and volunteers treats nearly 6,000 injured and orphaned wild animals annually. Our environmental education programs and interactive exhibit hall create meaningful opportunities to learn about the natural. More than 50 species of live, non-releasable, native California animals are on exhibit, providing ‘up-close-and-personal’ wildlife encounters. Since its inception in 1955, Lindsay has had a solid foundation of dedicated volunteers. More than 550 volunteers help feed and care for wild animals, teach children and adults about nature, and support Lindsay’s mission.
Overview of the Position:
Lindsay seeks a self-motivated, flexible and responsible individual capable of guiding the daily operations of the Animal Encounters Department. The Animal Keeper position requires an experienced professional, possessing a
wide variety of animal husbandry, training, volunteer supervision and public presentation experience. Keepers are expected to be competent and reliable handlers of a wide variety of bird species, including birds of prey, mammals,
reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. Keepers are an integral part of Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public programming and working along side the Education Department to provide a high-quality guest
experience. Individuals must have the willingness and skills to contribute to a positive, teamwork focused culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with director, veterinary staff, senior animal keeper, part-time animal keepers, interns and volunteers
to ensure the highest standards of animal care
• Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, training and record keeping
• Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming and special
events on and off-site
• Training and supervision of part-time animal keepers, volunteers and interns.
• Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects)
• Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors
• Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a professional
manner and with high quality customer service
Skills and Qualifications
• BS in biology or related field preferred.
• Two years experience working with wild/exotic animals, preferably in a zoological setting.
• Bird of prey handling experience, including eagles is preferred.
• Experience using methods of operant conditioning in animal behavior management.
• Candidates must have excellent communication skills (written and oral) and public speaking experience to
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Filemaker.
• Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
• Must be in good physical condition – activities include bending, kneeling, standing, carrying and lifting up to
• Background check upon hiring and valid California driver’s license required
Compensation and Benefits
$15.00 per hour, Full-time, 40 hours/week, including weekends and holidays.
Benefits include medical, dental and 401K
EEO Policy Statement
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.
Submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Please include ‘Animal Keeper position’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Lindsay Wildlife ExperienceWalnut Creek, CA
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.