AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Birmingham Zoo is currently seeking applications for an Animal Care Professional in the Primate Department. Under the direction of the Zoological Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing a high level of care to a diverse collection of species, including spider monkeys, lemurs, gibbons, and Hoffman’s two-toed sloth.
Primary responsibilities of this position include monitoring animal health, maintaining cleanliness of animal areas, providing environmental and behavioral enrichment, preparing diets, modifying exhibits, maintaining accurate records, and presenting both formally and informally for the public. The candidate must be a motivated self-starter that is enthusiastic and team oriented. This position requires a team player capable of positive interactions with staff, guests, and volunteers.
This is a full time position working at least 40 hours per week, including weekends, holidays, and late events as needed. Successful candidates will work in close proximity to dangerous animals, and professionalism and good communication are required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
• Minimum of one year of experience in an AZA facility; primate experience preferred
• Basic knowledge of the management of captive animal populations, including related AZA conservation programs
• Good decision making skills
• Ability to provide proof of a current negative TB test or willingness to have one
• Work under challenging physical conditions and perform strenuous duties in extreme weather
• Capability to routinely lift and/or move at least 50 pounds
• Demonstrate understanding of principles of operant conditioning
• Obtain a valid Alabama State driver’s license within 30 days of hire
Includes options for medical, dental, and vision insurance, annual membership, optional 401k, and more
The Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is an EOE and drug free work place. Apply online at www.BirminghamZoo.com, About Us, Employment
Birmingham Zoo, Inc.2630 Cahaba RdBirmingham, AL 35223Phone: 205-879-0409Fax: 205-879-9426
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.