AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Landry’s Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino, located in Las Vegas, includes a 200,000 gallon shark tank and a 75,000 gallon tropical marine aquarium.
Must be aware of all aspects of the Life Sciences Department. This includes maintaining all department protocols, adhering to policies and fulfilling daily responsibilities concerning the care and maintenance of the animal collection.
· Prefer three years previous Public Aquarium experience with teleosts and/or elasmobranchs (pay rate to be determined by experience level).
· College degree in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science or related field preferred (related work experience may be substituted).
· Must be S.C.U.B.A. certified diver (with 50 logged hours of dive time and with advanced certifications preferred) and must be able to dive on a daily basis.
· Must represent Golden Nugget in a professional manner with all guests.
Subject to possibility of bites and stings. Work and swim in fresh and saltwater, both man-made and natural. Walking and working within a wet environment. Outdoor work on occasion, under variety of conditions: cold weather, hot weather, rain, mud, ocean environments, and dry land. Must be available to work hours outside of scheduled hours (with possibility of overtime) for emergency and non-emergency situations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Professional Animal Care
· Daily SCUBA dives for husbandry/maintenance.
· Perform daily routines as scheduled.
· Maintain appropriate animal records.
· Assist with animal treatments and perform some treatments as directed.
· Assist with animal movements as directed.
· Conduct yourself in helpful, patient manner with all guests.
· Participate in various public presentations, with or without animals.
· Communicate problems with animals and exhibits to Curator or Life Sciences Manager.
· Interact with dignitaries, professionals, special guests, VIPs or tours as directed.
· Observe and help maintain department areas (and those not normally your responsibility) as directed.
· Report supply needs to Curator / Life Sciences Manager.
· Assure exhibit "readiness" for opening in absence of Curator or Life Sciences Manager.
· Make frequent daily rounds to evaluate cleanliness of work area/ equipment and safety concerns.
· Report to work location by scheduled time.
· Maintain clean, professional appearance.
· Be organized and self-motivated.
· Occasionally heavy lifting of 50 # or more
· Constantly required to swim, sit, walk, talk, hear, taste, and smell.
· Constantly must use arms/hands/fingers to reach/handle/feel in work environment.
· Constantly walking in a wet environment on uneven surfaces.
· Constantly using stairs and climbing ladders
· Frequently required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, balance, and to perform repetitive behaviors.
· Must be comfortable diving and swimming with animals constantly.
· Constant visual acuity required. Includes close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to focus.
· Must be able to pass SCUBA diving evaluations.
· Must have a high desire to provide the best care available to animals.
· Must be observant.
· Must work with other employees in a polite, patient manner.
· Must be willing to participate in public interaction.
· Must be available to work as required and prepared to work odd or unscheduled hours.
Qualified applicants please apply for the BIOLOGIST position on Golden Nugget’s website at the following link:
Golden Nugget Las VegasLas Vegas, NV
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.