AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The New England Aquarium combines education, entertainment and action to address the most challenging problems facing the oceans. The Aquarium opened on the Boston waterfront in 1969 and is one of the world's first modern aquariums. Visitors can explore the oceans and visit thousands of marine animals in four levels of world-class exhibits. With recently renovated facilities in both Boston and Quincy, the New England Aquarium has a strong foundation for many years ahead. The Associate Veterinarian will work with members of the Animal Health Department, Rescue and Rehabilitation Department, Fishes Department, Mammals Department, and Research Department to provide clinical care for invertebrates, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. The clinical caseload includes permanent collection animals as well as sea turtles and marine mammals admitted through the Rescue and Rehabilitation program.
Full Time & Regular, 40 hours per week. This position will work 5 days per week including 1 weekend day, 8:00am-5:00pm; Exact schedule to be determined based upon business needs.
The position will work in both NEAq's main Central Wharf campus in Boston and in the Animal Care Center in Quincy, MA. Time will be split between both campuses based on clinical needs.
1. Provides veterinary care for permanent collection animals, and animals admitted via the Rescue and Rehabilitation program.
2. Collaborates with the Director of Animal Health to develop and provide a complete health care program, with emphasis on preventative medical and husbandry practices; directs specific protocols for preventing and treating diseases in the collection.
3. Collaborates with the Director of Animal Health to supervise and coordinate Animal Health Department staff.
4. Educates and directs the Aquarium's animal care and husbandry staff in preventative health care, and is a resource to staff on animal health issues.
5. Maintains compliance on all veterinary regulatory matters at the local, state, and federal levels, in accordance with AZA and Aquarium policies.
6. Maintains complete and current medical records in accordance with Aquarium, AZA, and federal regulations.
7. Collaborates with the Director of Animal Health to coordinate the use of consulting and collaborating veterinarians.
8. Collaborates with the Director of Animal Health to conduct Zoonotic Disease Training and controlled Drug Trainings to appropriate staff.
9. Directs veterinary student externship program.
10. Participates in clinical research programs, and publishes clinical research.
11. Acts as a spokesperson for the Animal Health Department to the public and media when indicated.
12. Performs other position-related duties, as assigned.
For more information and to apply online please visit: http://neaq.applicantpro.com/jobs/
New England Aquarium is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
Minimum Training and Experience
· Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD, or foreign equivalents).
· Minimum of 2 years of clinical experience and one year of aquatic animal experience required.
· Eligibility to obtain Massachusetts veterinary license required.
· Eligibility to obtain Massachusetts controlled drug license required.
· Eligibility to obtain DEA license required.
· Eligibility for USDA accreditation to certify health for interstate and international transport required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Excellent interpersonal, organizational, public speaking, scientific writing, and computer skills required.
· Availability to work weekends, some holidays, and occasional early morning or late night hours required.
· Availability for shared emergency coverage required.
Please visit: https://neaq.applicantpro.com/jobs/
New England Aquarium1 Central WharfBoston, MA 02110Fax: www.neaq.org
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.