AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Maryland Zoo
General Summary: The Animal Keeper Specialist 1 (“Trainee”) will provide care and maintenance of the animals and their associated exhibits and holding areas. Achieving and maintaining this position will be contingent upon the elephant Animal Keeper Specialist 1 maintaining a satisfactory safety rating and performing successfully on written and practical skill assessments based on key duties and responsibilities on a semi-annual basis as outlined in the Elephant Staff Training and Skill Level Program document. This position and all requirements are specific to the staff engaged in the regular and direct care of elephants in the elephant area as is required under the AZA “Maximizing Occupational Safety of Elephant Care Professionals at AZA-Accredited and AZA Certified Facilities” policy.
Communication (Internal and External):
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
• Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, or related field preferred.
• Two years of paid or unpaid species specific animal experience excluding pets;
• Must possess a valid driver’s license; and,
• Must be familiar with computer operations including Microsoft Office programs and data entry.
• Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
• Ability to operate both independently and as part of a team in a productive and efficient manner with proper time management skills;
• Extremely well organized;
• Self-directed, collaborative, and detail oriented; and,
• Possess a positive attitude and a general philosophy/outlook in line with the Zoo’s mission.
• Must be able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including computer, telephone, radio, and vehicles, hand tools, animal restraint and capture devices, incubators, gardening/carpentry tools and machinery, computer, scales, etc.
• Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 25 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; must be able to remain on feet for periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, pull, climb, balance;
• Must be able to lift 75 pounds with assistance and 50 pounds unassisted as needed;
• Must be able to travel large areas of the Zoo on foot as needed;
• Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events;
• Must be able to stand and remain active for an eight hour shift;
• Must be able to work in an outdoor weather environment in all seasons and weather, including heat/humidity, cold temperatures, and/or wet conditions;
• Must be able to climb a ladder carrying up to 15 pounds;
• Exposure to zoonotic diseases and risk of animal attack;
• Exposure to potential environmental hazards such as poison oak/ivy, uneven terrain, and insect bites/stings; and,
• Initial tuberculosis (TB) test and physical required;
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. Therefore, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Please apply at https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=1516897
The Maryland Zoo1876 Mansion House Drive BaltimoreBaltimore, MD 21217Phone: 4435520890
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.