AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Posted: Open to all internal and external applicants
Reports to: Visitor Engagement Manager
Status: Part time, Hourly, cannot work more than 1,000 hours per year
Duration: Work available through September 2017 with potential to continue in the fall, depending on performance and department needs
Hours of work: Varies by season, average 18 hours per week. The Aquarium is open seven days a week. Interpretive shifts vary in length from 4 to 10 hours between the hours of 8:30 am and 11:00 PM. This position will regularly fill weekend shift openings, but weekday, evening and graveyard shifts will also be scheduled. Availability during the summer season is required.
Dated needed: ASAP
Posting expires: Monday, February 27, 2017
About the Seattle Aquarium: The Seattle Aquarium is owned by the City of Seattle and under nonprofit management. The Aquarium currently serves over 825,000 visitors and 40,000 schoolchildren and their teachers annually. Guided by its mission of Inspiring Conservation of Our Marine Environment, the Seattle Aquarium has a realistic plan for phased growth based on record-setting attendance, membership and fundraising growth, an energized board of directors and professional management. The current annual budget is $14 million.
Position overview: Temporary Marine Science Interpreters are shift supervisors in the exhibits at the Seattle Aquarium, leading the interpretation volunteers, running volunteer enrichments, and interpreting the exhibits to Aquarium guests both informally and during formal interpretive presentations. In addition to working regularly scheduled hours these staff will provide coverage for last minute schedule changes and vacation requests most often Thursday - Monday; flexibility in scheduling is required.
Primary job functions:
Supervise interpretation volunteers, including some training and evaluation of the volunteers’ performance.
Prepare and deliver formal interpretive talks to Aquarium visitors
Interpret Aquarium exhibits to visitors on an informal, one-on-one basis.
Coordinate feedings, interpretive talks and communicate openly with coworkers from all aquarium departments.
Some administrative work such as record-keeping for animal care, volunteer activities, etc.
Assist with maintenance of props, exhibits, and office/lounge spaces
Other projects as assigned
Required skills, abilities:
• Excellent oral, presentation, and written communication skills.
• Excellent leadership abilities willingness and ability to take charge as needed.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Familiarity with MS Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook. Familiarity, or ability to learn volunteer databases (Volgistics).
• Critical thinking and excellent judgment
• Knowledge of marine science and conservation.
• Ability to change priorities in a rapidly changing work environment; Can shift gears comfortably or when needed; Can decide and act without having the total picture.
• Team player with a healthy sense of humor.
Experience, education and certifications: We will consider various combinations of relevant experience and education in order to meet minimum requirements.
• Minimum 2 years’ academic experience in education, biology, environmental science or similar field, preferred BA/BS degree.
• Degree in education, biology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in an aquarium, zoo, environmental education center or similar institution required.
• CPR/First Aid/Epi pen certification required.
• Previous experience supervising volunteers preferred.
• Skill and comfort with talking and presenting to both large groups and individuals. Use of microphone and other voice enhancing equipment.
• Must be able to walk and stand for extended periods of time
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• Occasional extended exposure to outside weather conditions
• Flexible schedule required, this position will regularly be assigned to work both Saturday and Sunday. As well as evening shifts and a few graveyard shifts.
Salary and benefits: $14.50/hour, hours vary week to week. This is a temporary position and not eligible for benefits.
How to apply: The Seattle Aquarium is a progressive, equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce. All candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a résumé and one-page letter detailing interest and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin immediately.
**Must pass a background check to be eligible for this position.
Seattle Aquarium1483 Alaskan Way, Pier 59Seattle, WA 98101Phone: 2066936153
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.