AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
This position is responsible for supervising, monitoring, and participating in receiving, preparing, and delivering quality food and supplies to all animal buildings and exhibit areas; supervising the keeper staff assigned to the area; and coordinating activities with other departments within Animal Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise, plan, train, and review the work of all NS staff.
• Plan, direct, and participate in receiving, preparing, and delivering food and supplies to all animal areas.
• Supervise, direct, and participate in maintenance of receiving records
• Participate in maintenance of diet records.
• Facilitate communication regarding procurement/inventory operations.
• Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for both the department and staff
• Train assigned staff in their areas of work including preparation, sanitation and professional conduct.
• Monitor the work of assigned staff for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
• Facilitate maintenance and repair of the physical facility and equipment.
• Respond to inquiries and requests from the animal collection staff in a courteous manner.
• Supervise and ensure adherence to proper standards of sanitation and safety.
• Assist with feed quality control program and communication.
• With training, euthanize feeder animals as part of a diet management program.
• Assist with nutrition laboratory operations and research as needed.
• Exercise supervision over assigned zoo keeping staff, interns and volunteers for all areas of the responsibility and professional conduct
• Participate in the selection, hiring, training and evaluation of staff
• Monitor the work environment of staff, participate in the review and implementation of disciplinary action as needed with the Managerial and Human Resources staff
• Schedule staff; maintain up to date standard operation procedure for assigned areas
• Ensure safe working environment for staff and animals
• Demonstrates leadership of employees through ongoing training to include applicable laws, Zoo policies, business conduct and ethics and the provision of quality services to guests and employees supporting the highest level of program integrity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Must be 21 years of age or older
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain zoo standards of insurability
Demonstrated knowledge of:
• Operations, services, and activities of the NS department
• Principles of supervision and training
• Advanced methods and techniques of problem solving
• Basic principles and practices of NS operations
• Principles and practices of work area safety and sanitation
• Operational characteristics of food prep and handling equipment
• Principles and practices of nutritional record keeping
Must possess the ability to:
• Lead, organize, and review the work of staff in the area of work assigned
• Lead and motivate the NS team
• Communicate and work effectively in a team setting
• Independently perform the most difficult NS operations, problem solve, and meet emergencies calmly and effectively
• Interpret, explain, and enforce department policies and procedures
• Operate a variety of food prep and handling equipment in a safe and sanitary manner
• Clean and maintain physical facility of the NSB according to sanitation and operation policies
• Ensure the sanitary preparation of accurate diets
• Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
• Understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Education and/or Experience:
• Three years of increasingly responsible nutritional services experience; minimum of 1-year supervisory experience preferred
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• Bachelors degree in biology, zoology, wildlife, nutrition or a related field preferred
• Specialized training in related field preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, sometimes up to 75 pounds with assistance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
• Ability to work outdoors in heat, cold and inclement weather
• –20 degrees F in a freezer for short periods of time
• 3 – 4 hours of food preparation in 35 – 40 degree F cooler
Fort Worth Zoo1989 Colonial ParkwayFort Worth , TX 76110
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.