AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore is seeking applicants who desire a career in conservation education and wish to gain hands-on experience in a zoological setting. This internship is designed to provide students with a well-rounded educational experience whereby students will be exposed to a mix of formal and informal education practices in addition to curriculum development and program evaluation. Interns will also have the opportunity to complete an independent project based on their learning objectives. Interns will work side by side with experienced education staff and volunteers in a variety of different programs.
• An undergraduate enrolled in an accredited college pursuing a degree in education, early childhood education, family studies, theatre, biology, interpretive biology, wildlife conservation, environmental studies, ecology or a related field preferred;
• Juniors or seniors are preferred;
• Must complete a minimum of 100 hours of service, averaging approximately 10-12 hours per week, Monday- Sunday, 8:30am- 4:30pm;
• Occasional evenings and weekends availability is a plus;
• Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of age groups, learning skills, as well as ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
• Proficient knowledge in Microsoft Office programs; basic computer skills required;
• Ability to lift heavy objects, work in a variety of weather conditions, and stand for long periods of time is preferred; and
• Additional preferred abilities: strong communicator, creative thinker, analytical/strategic thinker, strong writer, proficient editor, familiarity with the Baltimore/Maryland community.
To apply, internship candidates must complete the online Volunteer Application available online at: http://www.marylandzoo.org/support-the-zoo/volunteer/college-internships/ and submit the following:
• School transcript, official or unofficial, and copies are accepted
• Cover letter explaining the applicant’s:
o Goals and how this internship will help achieve those goals;
o Relevant skills, activities, experience and/or classes;
o School requirements for internship credit (if applicable);
o Start and end dates, and days of availability.
Application materials may be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Volunteer Department:
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
1876 Mansion House Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21217
All application materials are due by February 28th, 2017. See http://www.marylandzoo.org/support-the-zoo/volunteer/ for additional information.
The Maryland Zoo1876 Mansion House DriveBaltimore, MD 21217
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.