AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Build 4 Impact is seeking a Curator for Here Be Dragons, a live animal exhibit at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago in May 2017.
Here Be Dragons celebrates human-dragon cultural connections through science, history, paleontology, folklore, mythology, religion, literature, and live animals. There are 11 live animal exhibits featuring various lizards including albino iguanas, crocodile monitors, frilled dragons, and a Komodo monitor. As a staff person at Here Be Dragons, you will, under close supervision, provide general care for animals and create superior guest experiences. The incumbent will perform related work of maintaining the exhibit, grounds, and interpretives associated with Here Be Dragons. You will also inform, assist, and direct guests as necessary. You will supervise 3-4 hourly staff. Diverse experience caring for and exhibiting a wide variety of large and small reptiles, in a zoo, museum, or private setting is preferred. In addition, experience in education and theatre is important. You will study specific reference materials about animals in the exhibit and read other zoological and husbandry texts as assigned.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Prepare and distribute food as directed. Observe assigned animals closely, routinely, and objectively report to supervisor on their behavior, health, and welfare. Keep animal records as assigned.
• Observe condition of assigned area(s), animal enclosures, and equipment. Monitor and clean public space(s), plants, and interpretives as assigned. Report maintenance needs. Perform minor maintenance tasks as assigned. Clean animal enclosures, pools, and service areas.
• Perform routines of assigned areas and specialized procedures as directed. Monitor guests to insure animal and human safety and protection of property. Communicate with and assist guests. Take initiative to facilitate guests' appreciation of animals and enjoyment of their visit. Demonstrate knowledge of and implement emergency procedures as directed.
• Other related duties as assigned.
The requirements for this position include:
• High School Diploma or GED and knowledge in relevant biological field or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required. Animal care facility, farm, kennel, or equivalent animal experience preferred.
• Knowledge of educational methods and techniques appropriate for public speaking, demonstration, and interaction with people of all ages. Childcare, camp counselor, teachers, educators, theatre performers, or equivalent educational experience preferred.
• Must possess an understanding of practical principles of animal behavior and the ability to work with live animals safely.
• Diverse experience caring for and exhibiting a wide variety of large and small reptiles, including iguanids, varanids, and others.
• An understanding of zoo-based conservation and breeding programs is desirable.
• Knowledge of natural history, zoology, or animal husbandry preferred.
• Ability to perceive and act upon relevant changes in animal behaviors and conditions.
• Incumbent must develop proficiency in routines of assigned areas and specialized procedures as directed, and must demonstrate the ability to accurately perform job duties.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• The ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
• Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
• Must learn and integrate information, knowledge, and direction quickly.
• Good decision-making skills.
• Must be alert and make sound independent judgments.
• Must be reliable.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment preferred.
• Valid driver's license required for Illinois residents within 90 days of hire; valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
• Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language fluently. Spanish fluency a plus, but not required.
Animal care facility, farm, kennel, or equivalent animal experience desired. Teachers, childcare workers, actors, and educators encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, seasonal position with rotating shifts, including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
Work begins in mid-April and continues through mid-September 2017. Possibility of conversion to full-time position. This 6 month position pays up to $35,000.
Travel with the exhibit to other venues including out of the country is possible.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise of change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Interested parties should email a resume, cover letter, and 3 personal and 3 professional references to email@example.com.
Chicago Zoological Society / Brookfield ZooChicago, IL
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.