AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Houston Zoo has over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care, and training. The Zoo also serves more than 2.4 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. The Zoo aspires to connect communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
The Houston Zoo is offering opportunities to participate in unpaid summer internships in these diverse animal departments:
Learn more about internships in each of these specific departments on our website: http://www.houstonzoo.org/internship/.
This is a unique opportunity for students to be immersed in our culture of conservation and to work alongside keepers, developing important professional relationships and gaining valuable hands-on animal care experience.
Extensive training plans will be provided specific to each animal department (you will select which departments interest you upon applying) to ensure internships remain valuable to students and developing professionals. Networking and continuing education opportunities will be available in addition to learning more about Houston Zoo Take Action initiatives, central to everything we do.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently while being an important part of a team
- Exhibit strong professionalism and communication skills
- Possess a desire to gain experience and knowledge working with exotic animals
- Some knowledge of exotic animals is preferred but not required
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENT:
This position involves a lot of walking and lifting. Time outdoors can be expected, in all different weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold, or dust. It may also involve considerable physical exertion such as climbing, reaching, assuming awkward positions, repetitive motions, and lifting and/or moving of heavy objects (up to 25 pounds) on a regular basis. Due to the nature of this environment, interns will have public contact requiring considerable communication skills.
- Interns are required to complete a minimum 200-400 hour commitment (varies by internship area)
- Compose and deliver an educational presentation at the end of internship
- May be required to obtain a current negative TB test result prior to starting date
- Candidates may not need previous husbandry experience but working at other animal facilities is a plus
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a college institution or be a recent graduate (within 1 year of application due date)
- Coursework in biology or zoology-related field is preferred but not required
- The Houston Zoo is open 364 days a year. Interns can expect to have a regular set schedule but may be scheduled to participate on some weekends, holidays, etc.
Please review details about each internship by animal section as posted on our website before applying (this announcement may exclude critical information about specific animal sections).
To submit an application, visit our website http://www.houstonzoo.org/internship/. Applicants must also submit a resume, cover letter, and letter of recommendation as part of their online application.
Materials are due March 1, 2017 at 4 PM.
For further information and inquiries, please contact the Houston Zoo Volunteer Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn how you can save animals in the wild by working in a zoo!
Houston Zoo, Inc1513 Cambridge StreetHouston, TX 77030
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.