AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
“To inspire our public to value the presence of living things in our lives” We at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory hold everything we do against the expectations laid forth in our mission statement. Every animal exhibit, plant exhibit, education class and youth camp is driven by this statement and our commitment to the community in which we live.
This Como Zoo Internship is designed to provide career learning in animal husbandry, data collection, and food preparation for the animals in Como’s Tropical Encounters Exhibit. Interns will work with a variety of species including birds, small mammals, amphibians, reptiles and invertebrates. This position is unpaid and will require college credit.
• Assist with daily diet preparation
• Assist with daily feeding and husbandry for the animals in the Tropical Encounters Exhibit, holding areas and the Bird Yard
• Provide enrichment for the animals in Tropical Encounters exhibit and holding areas
• Assist with routine record keeping and participate in weekly veterinary consultation
• Provide routine animal observation; reporting any concerns to the keepers on duty
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Intern will demonstrate safe, professional and respectful behavior in all work areas
• Follow established policies and procedures when on Como Campus
• Address issues and concerns in a timely and professional manner
• Work pre-arranged shift, (4 hour periods between 8-4:00, at least 4 days per week)
• Give advanced notice for shift changes
• Fulfill all training requirements and provide feedback
• Currently be in a degree program in zoology, biology or a related field with preference given to those interested in a career in zoo keeping
• Be available to work weekdays, weekends and holidays
• Obtain prior approval to secure college credit for the internship
• Demonstrate high quality ability to work independently or with a team
• Ability to lift objects in excess of 50 lbs. daily
• Ability to periodically lift objects in excess of 70 lbs
NOTE: As a matter of policy and procedure interns will NOT be able to touch or hand-feed animals.
Intern applicants must:
• Be currently enrolled in a degree program
• Be available for at least 4 four hour shifts between 8am-4:00pm each week
• Meet all qualifications listed in the position description (outlined here).
• Receive college credit for the internship
A complete intern application must include:
• Cover letter indicating reasons for interest in a Como internship
• Resume summarizing education and employment experiences
• Two letters of reference; at least one reference submitted by a college instructor
with knowledge of your academic performance and commitment to your major.
• Completed Internship Application form (found on our website)
Deadlines for applications:
Fall semester: August 10th
Spring semester: November 10th
Summer semester: March 10th
Visit our website at www.comozooconservatory.org and download the Tropical Encounters application. Submission information is located on the application materials.
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory1225 Estabrook DriveSaint Paul, MN 55103Phone: 651-487-8252Fax: 651-487-8278
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.