AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
“To inspire our public to value the presence of living things in our lives” We at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory hold everything we do against the expectations laid forth in our mission statement. Every animal exhibit, plant exhibit, education class and youth camp is driven by this statement and our commitment to the community in which we live.
This Como Zoo Internship is designed to provide career learning in animal husbandry, data collection, and food preparation for the invertebrates in Como’s Animal Collection. At the current time, the species within this area are tarantulas, mantis, scorpions, orthoptera, phasmids, millipedes, roaches, lepidoptera and leaf cutter ants. This position is unpaid and will require college credit.
• Assist with daily diet collection of plants or insects or diet preparation
• Assist with daily feeding and husbandry for animals in the Animal Support Building, Tropical Encounters and Visitor Center education room.
• Assist with routine record keeping and participate in any additional studies as needed
• Provide routine animal observation; reporting any concerns to the keepers on duty
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Intern will demonstrate safe, professional and respectful and behavior in all work areas
• Follow established policies and procedures when working on Como Campus
• Address issues and concerns in a timely and professional manner
• Work pre-arranged shift (minimum: 3 days per week, 3 hours between 8am-4:00pm)
• Give advanced notice for shift changes
• Fulfill all training requirements and provide feedback
• Currently be in a degree program in entomology, zoology, biology or a related field with preference given to those interested in a career in zoo keeping/animal care
• Be available to work weekdays, weekends and holidays
• Obtain prior approval for college credit for the internship
• Demonstrate high quality ability to work independently or with a team
• Ability to lift objects in excess of 50 lbs. daily
• Ability to periodically lift objects in excess of 70 lbs.
Intern applicants must:
• Be currently enrolled in a degree program
• Be available for at least 12 hours between 8am-4:00pm 3 days a week
• Meet all qualifications listed in the position description (next page)
• Receive college credit for the internship
A complete intern application must include:
• Cover letter indicating reasons for interest in a Como internship
• Resume summarizing education and employment experiences
• Two letters of reference; at least one reference submitted by a college instructor
with knowledge of your academic performance and commitment to your major
• Completed Internship Application form (from our website)
Deadlines for applications:
Fall semester: August 15th
Spring semester: November 15th
Summer semester: March 15th
Visit our website at www.comozooconservatory.org and download the entomology application. Submission information is located on the application materials.
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory1225 Estabrook DriveSaint Paul, MN 55103Phone: 651-487-8252Fax: 651-487-8278
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.