AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
“To inspire our public to value the presence of living things in our lives” We at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory hold everything we do against the expectations laid forth in our mission statement. Every animal exhibit, plant exhibit, education class and youth camp is driven by this statement and our commitment to the community in which we live.
The Aquarist Internship is designed to be a volunteer career learning experience with Como Zoo’s numerous water exhibits including many fish and amphibian species. Interns will gain firsthand experience in working with fresh and salt water fish including South American and African species, seahorse exhibit, animal holding and quarantine, Aquatic Amphibians, as well as some terrestrial amphibians and reptiles, water chemistry, analysis and mitigation, data collection, food preparation, exhibit maintenance, public presentations, aquatic life support systems and animal husbandry. College credit is required. This internship is offered each semester and a minimum 12 weeks of 24 hours per week May through September, or 16 hours per week for all other periods.
• maintenance support for the desired quality in exhibit aesthetics, acrylic cleaning and other duties associated with preparing exhibits
• assist with daily diet preparation
• assist with daily feeding and animal husbandry
• exhibit and holding area maintenance including water changes and filter maintenance
• assist with routine record keeping and participate in weekly veterinary consultation
• assist with water analysis including water chemistry lab, records and reporting issues to aquariums/life support staff
• provide routine animal observation, reporting any concerns to the keepers on duty
• perform other duties as assigned
• demonstrate safe, professional and respectful and behavior in all work areas
• follow established policies and procedures while on duty and within Como Campus
• address issues and concerns in a timely and professional manner
• work pre-arranged shift (minimum: 24 per week summer, 16 hours per week all other semesters)
• be willing to work weekends and holidays, as required
• give advanced notice for shift changes
• fulfill all training requirements and provide feedback
• during the internship period applicants must be currently enrolled in a undergraduate degree program in zoology, biology or a related field; preference given to those interested in career as an aquarist or closely related field
• obtain prior approval for college credit for the internship
• demonstrate high quality work independently or with a team
• be able ability to lift objects in excess of 50 lbs. daily, and periodic lifting in excess of 70 lbs
• be able to endure exposure to very hot and cold temperatures on a regular basis, excessive smells, wet environments and bending/standing/ladder climbing
Intern applicants must:
• Be currently enrolled in a degree program
• Be available for at least 12 weeks
• Be available for at least 16-24 hours a week (depending on time of year)
• Meet all qualifications listed in the position description (next page).
• Secure and receive college credit for the internship
A complete intern application must include:
• Cover letter indicating reasons for interest in a Como internship
• Resume summarizing education and employment experiences
• Two letters of reference; at least one reference submitted by a college instructor
with knowledge of your academic performance and commitment to your major.
• Completed Internship Application form (see our website)
Deadlines for applications:
Fall semester: August 10th
Spring semester: November 10th
Summer semester: March 10th
Visit our website at www.comozooconservatory.org and download our Aquarist internship application. Contact information for submission is listed on the application.
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory1225 Estabrook Drivesaint Paul, MN 55103Phone: 651-487-8252Fax: 651-487-8278
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.