Aquarium of The Pacific
Each year approximately 1.7 million people visit the Aquarium, making it consistently one of the leading attractions in the Southern California region. Beyond its world-class animal exhibits, the Aquarium offers educational programs for people of all ages from hands-on activities to lectures by leading scientists. Through these programs and a variety of multimedia experiences, the Aquarium provides opportunities to delve deeper into ocean science and learn more about our planet.
Director of Finance
Minimum starting pay for this role is $150,000 annually. Additional consideration will be given, depending on relevant qualifications and experience.
The Director of Finance is responsible for overseeing all financial planning and activities, budget development and implementation, cash management, and other financial related activities for the Aquarium of the Pacific. This position is responsible for creating business value from data, by managing the oversight and governance of data across the organizational.
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements
- Plan, coordinate and execute the annual budget process
- Create multi-year forecasting tools
- Active member of 401k oversight committee
- Lead member of data governance committee
- Develop process to evaluate either return on investment or impact of new proposals
- Creates visitor level analysis by sales channel, date, other relevant metrics
- Evaluates sales trends for Food & Beverage and Retail operations
- Work closely with accounting team on monthly close process
- Work and support audit related activities
- Work and support Form 990 related activities
- Creates and compares appropriate peer financial and operational analysis
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff, through feedback and coaching
- Oversees insurance programs for organization
- Review polies and processes for efficiency and proper control
- Participate in board committee meetings
- Contribute to the development of our strategic goals
- Maintain continuous lines communication up, down and across the organization
- Ensure adherence to the strategic plan
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- CPA certification preferred
- CFA certification preferred
- 10 years of relevant experience in a similar role
- Experience either working for a non-profit or serving as a non-profit board member
- 5 years reporting to and/or working alongside a Board in non-profit organization
- 5 years of supervisory experience
- Experience with accounting software and the evaluation of financial systems, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, federal, state and local laws
- Knowledge of current and evolving trends and best practices in a non-profit accounting
- Exceptional fiscal and process management skills and knowledge of non-profit and fund accounting
- Experience as a change manager
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good analytical person, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively
- Ability to interface with senior management
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for our mission
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with Intacct accounting system
- Experience with SQL or a reporting tool like SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) preferred
- Computer literate, possessing advanced skills in Microsoft products
- Ability to provide financial statement analysis and forecasting
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a team member with minimal supervision
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Be a strategic leader across the organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills and customer service orientation
- Strategic partner, able to build consensus based upon data
- Experience modeling acquisition costs, return on investment/impact and long-term value
- Drive and model accountability and key performance/metric driven decision making
- Detailed oriented
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, squat, twist
- Ability to lift and carry up to 0-10 pounds
- Ability to pull and push up to 0-10 pounds
- Full functional range of motion in all major body joints from reaching, twisting, bending, simple and power gripping, fine and gross motor skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal office working conditions
- Noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate
- Must be onsite 4 days per week
Interested & Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, please click on the link to appy. You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required for all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Hire Select:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
You will complete the online assessment(s).
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Aquarium of The Pacific
100 Aquarium Way
Long Beach, CA 90802
Fax: (562) 951-1629
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...