Fresno Chaffee Zoo
Registered Veterinary Technician
The Vet Tech is responsible for assisting Zoo Veterinarians and Animal Care staff in all aspects of animal care (preventative medicine, emergency care, and anesthesia).
Our comprehensive compensation package includes 100% employer paid Medical/Dental/Vision, Employee Assistance Program, 401k, 10 Paid Holidays, Paid Sick and Paid Vacation time on an accrued basis. The pay range for this position is $21.91 - $26.30 per hour. Offers will be based on the successful candidate's experience.
Daily Medical Care
- Effectively prepares and maintains medical records. Input medical records, testing results, and anesthesia monitoring sheets into ZIMs in a 7day period. Inputs necropsy/histology reports into ZIMs record keeping program within a month of result finalization.
- Actively assists the veterinary team in the care of the zoo’s animal collection including procedures involving immobilization/anesthesia, physical restraint, physical examination, surgery, radiology, ultrasonography, endoscopy, phlebotomy, cystocentesis, fluid administration, intubation, anesthetic monitoring, bandaging, wound care, medication administration, dentistry, and treatment of the zoo’s animal collection.
- Effectively performs laboratory work including blood, urine, and fecal testing. Ensures appropriate handling and submission of laboratory samples as directed by veterinarian daily.
- Undertake or assist in the disposition of nuisance wildlife potentially injurious to the zoo collection, including euthanasia under the direction of a veterinarian.
- Assistance with necropsies including collecting and preparing tissues for histopathologic evaluation.
- Administers medications and treatments as directed by a veterinarian.
Provide Excellent Animal Care
Provides excellent care to quarantined and hospitalized animals. Effectively performs all zookeeper duties as needed.
Thoroughly cleans and disinfects assigned animal enclosures and ensures cleanliness of hospital facilities throughout the day.
Actively observes animals’ behavior, checking for any signs of illness or disorder, and reports irregularities and abnormal behavior to the veterinarian.
Provide Excellent Staff and Visitor Experience
Performs special assignments and projects as requested and assists with other shifts as needed.
Assumes other responsibilities as necessary to assure achievement of established objectives.
Supervise veterinary students, veterinary technician students, and volunteers.
Hospital Safety, Sanitation, Maintenance and Organization
Organizes animal sample storage for future diagnostic use and data banking.
Maintains all hospital and quarantine equipment, and facilities in a clean and ready state at all times.
Completes administrative duties as assigned, such as but not limited to: inventory, ordering, drug logs, radiation tracking for staff and equipment, and other administrative duties as assigned.
Performs daily cleaning of hospital areas and ensures proper hygiene of hospital areas and equipment.
Promotes a safe work environment daily by reporting concerns, removing debris and clutter.
Schedules routine equipment maintenance as indicated.
Aids in all zoo signal response as appropriate.
Must hold a Degree in Veterinary Technology or related field from an accredited university.
Must obtain a California Veterinary Technician license within 6 months of employment and maintain throughout employment.
Minimum two years related experience required. Applicable experience in an AZA facility preferred.
Valid California driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 6 months of employment and a clean driving record.
Excellent written and verbal English communications skills required. Bilingual communication skills a plus.
Availability to work or be on-call, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
How to Apply
Visit: Registered Veterinary Technician (paycomonline.net)
Fresno Chaffee Zoo
Fresno, CA 93728
Visit our website
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...