North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
Have you ever wondered what it might be like to work at an Aquarium? The North Carolina Aquariums at Roanoke Island is seeking a dynamic, efficient, and enthusiastic individual to join our Husbandry department as an Aquarist! The Aquarist position will have the principal responsibilities for live foods and larval fish culturing as well as a small number of display habitats. This position reports directly to the Husbandry Curator and is responsible for the daily care of all animals in the assigned displays, holding and quarantine systems, and maintains life support systems as well as the aesthetics of the displays.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Being responsible for the care, conditioning, and maintenance of brood stock species spawning and egg collection as well as the care and maintenance of all aquaculture species during the hatchery, nursery, and grow-out phases of development.
- Rearing live foods for larval fish and invertebrates
- Covering responsibilities for the husbandry of additional aquatic and terrestrial animals and/or habitats in the absence of their primary aquarist on a rotating basis
- Providing animal behavioral training and enrichment programs for various collection animals
- Determining individual animal nutritional needs, securing, culturing, preparing, and feeding the terrestrial and aquatic animals
- Recognizing symptoms of disease and poor animal health and administering appropriate treatments, including quarantine of newly acquired specimens.
- Focus on animal welfare, including conducting welfare assessments and improvements.
- Meeting USDA and AZA requirements for keeping animals in human care such as, but not limited to, food storage and preparation, providing a high standard of cleanliness, and providing quality mental health.
- Working with large, dangerous, or venomous aquatic and terrestrial species
- Designing, maintaining, and troubleshooting life support systems
- Maintaining accurate databases and records
- Performing water quality testing, interpreting results, and making necessary adjustments to water quality parameters
- Participate in educational programs as required.
- Conducting SCUBA assisted diving to clean tanks, perform educational programs, and collect specimens.
- Acquiring and collecting new animals for display; responding to animal stranding and rehabilitation needs
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Weekend, evening and holiday work required. Occasional travel is also required for Aquarium meetings.
Must meet DNCR Fleet Safety Guidelines and have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license.
If selected for hire, a background check will be completed prior to first day of work.
OPENING DATE: 03/13/23
CLOSING DATE: 03/24/23
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES:
Qualified candidates must have or be able to do all of the following:
1. Demonstrated experience maintaining life support systems and associated water chemistry at a public Aquarium, Zoo, Fish Hatchery or Museum.
2. Experience with live food cultures.
3. Experience with care, conditioning, and maintenance of brood stocks.
4. SCUBA certification from a nationally recognized organization or have the ability to obtain for employment.
5. Valid NC driver's license or have the ability to obtain within 30 days of employment.
6. Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs.
7. Requires evening, weekend, and holiday work with occasional travel.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree in Art History, Biology, Botany, Conservation, Education, History or Zoology from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of museum or related work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The mission of the North Carolina Aquariums is to inspire appreciation and conservation of North Carolina's aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining, and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences, and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service, and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is located in Manteo, NC, nine miles from the Atlantic coastline in Nags Head. The 61,000 square-foot facility is sited on 16 acres overlooking the Croatan Sound and houses over 2,200 animals. More than 280,000 guests visit the aquarium each year to see a large array of sharks, learn about sea turtle conservation, participate in a variety of programs, enjoy the beauty of the area, and learn why North Carolina's waterways are so special.
The North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) takes care of the things that people love about North Carolina, literally from A to Z. The Arts to the Zoo, and so much else – parks, aquariums, historic sites, archaeology, African American Heritage Commission, science and history museums, the state Symphony, Library and Archives, historic preservation, land and water stewardship, and more. These places, and the ideas they represent, create a shared identity in North Carolina. They provide common ground. Everyone is welcome. The Department’s vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state's diverse population, culture, and history. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
Full Benefits Package included
$32,460 - $45,032
How to Apply
This position must be applied for through the State of NC website. Apply Here:
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Note the following:
Resumes and cover letters: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application nor will it be considered for qualifying credit. "See Resume" or "See Attachment" will not be accepted with your application being rejected as incomplete. Cover letters are highly encouraged but not required.
Transcripts: Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and a copy of your transcripts indicating the degree received can be uploaded with your application. If the position you are applying for requires verification of classes taken for the position, then your transcripts must be uploaded to be considered.
Veterans Preference: To obtain veterans preference, you must scan and upload a copy of your DD-214 or discharge orders.
Americans with Disabilities: Applicants requesting an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are eligible to submit paper applications via mail or by fax. Please call the human resources office for assistance.
Please refrain from submitting multiple applications, however; If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the closing date will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by 5:00 PM on the closing date.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. Upon the closing date, applications are "Under Review" and will be screened by Human Resources for the qualified applicants. The hiring process may take an average of 6 – 8 weeks.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please contact the DNCR Human Resources Office.
North Carolina Aquariums
3125 Poplarwood Court Suite 160
Raleigh, NC 27604
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
374 Airport Road
Manteo, NC 27941
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...