Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Summer Teen Program Mentor (Seasonal)
Education Teen Program Mentors take a leading role in environment and conservation education for teens ages 12-18 through hands on experiences. The goal of these programs is to instill and foster a lifelong love for nature and animals as well as introduce or develop lifelong passions for activities that tie youth directly to wildlife and/or wild places. Through education, mentorship and outdoor adventures the Teen Program Mentor will inspire teens to be active stewards of the environment. Promotes professional working relationships with both internal and external customers. This position is non-supervisory in nature. Adheres to and supports all organizational policies and procedures and standards.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Coursework in environmental education, biology, outdoor recreation or related field is preferred.
Working towards or already holding a B.S. degree in environmental education, outdoor recreation or biology is a plus.
First and and/or CPR training is required
Wilderness First Aid and/or Wilderness First Responder is a plus
Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening and criminal background check.
Must be able to provide proof that you can legally work in the United States.
Willingness to learn to work with a variety of animals
2+ years working with teenagers
2+ years working in a leading educational role
Strong interest in outdoor recreation and nature education - must be able to perform outdoor adventure activities such as white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking, camping, climbing, etc
Experience working with diverse audiences and varying group size, including teens in a formal and informal educational setting.
Excellent oral presentation skills.
This job requires great flexibility in work schedule with week day, weekends, evenings and occasional late nights as necessary to fulfill job duties and program requests
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrate the ability to interact clearly and effectively with both internal and external customers.
Computer efficiency in computer applications such as Sign Up Genius, Excel, Google, etc.
Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, Zoo staff, and the public.
Must have a high attention to detail
Take ownership and pride in responsibilities
Possess the ability to organize and prioritize while working with strict deadlines
Ability to make good decisions regarding the welfare of children, animals, guests and organization
Ability to remain calm under pressure off site and on site
Able to work alone or with minimal day-to-day supervision
Ability to work at a fast pace while still paying attention to details
Skilled in abilities to handle financial responsibilities and keep detailed financial records
Superior customer service skills
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Ensure discretion with confidential information.
• Maintains courteous, helpful and professional behavior on the job. Will support the success of the entire team by promoting a collaborative work environment.
• Adheres to all CM Zoo Policies and Procedures, CM Zoo Safety Policies and Procedures, USDA guidelines and OSHA safety guidelines.
• Consistently contributes to problem-solving and cooperates with identified resolutions.
• Must demonstrate regular attendance and punctuality.
• Brings issues and process improvement ideas to the attention of the Supervisor.
• Maintains verbal and written skills required for the position.
• Attends meetings and participates in committees as required.
• Completes trainings as required.
• Adheres to Company Dress Code Policy. Always “Zoo Crisp!”
• Demonstrates appropriate level of time management in support of co-workers and the entire team.
• Represent the Zoo in a professional manner
• Must be physically able to plan, coordinate, implement and execute off site programs
• Maintains detailed financial records
Starts at $16.00 per hour
How to Apply
Send cover letter, resume, and proof of CPR/First Aid to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Visit our website
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...