The Nashville Zoo is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to bring their experience, creativity and passion to our hoofstock team. This individual will be joining a small team of dedicated keepers in caring for and developing a diverse collection of ungulates that will be growing rapidly in size and complexity in the near future. The ideal candidate will possess a balanced combination of hoofstock expertise, passion for hard work, internal motivation, and a desire to collaborate with a strong team to achieve lofty goals.
Description: Under general supervision, keepers perform a wide range of functions in the Mammal Department at the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere. Their primary responsibilities are to feed, clean, and maintain assigned collection animals; animal exhibits, yards, night enclosures, and contiguous areas; perform light exhibit construction; operate zoo vehicles and maintain integrity of existing landscape. Additionally, keepers are responsible for educating the public through keeper talks, tours, and other impromptu educational sessions as well as providing a clean and safe atmosphere for families to enjoy the Nashville Zoo.
Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience (specifically with ungulates) in the following areas:
- Operant conditioning
- Capture and hand restraint
- Mixed species management
- Herd/stud management and introductions
- Must be able to work outside year-round under typical Tennessee weather conditions and temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work in uneven terrain with exposure to varying weather conditions, dust, and allergens.
- Must be able to move about on slippery surfaces, handle toxic and hazardous materials and work in cramped and confined spaces.
- Must be able to lift and carry materials up to 75 pounds.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years of full-time, paid, exotic animal experience, with at least 1 year of hoofstock intensive experience. Experience in an AZA-accredited zoo is preferred
- Applicants must have a college degree (Associate or Bachelors) in an applicable field: Animal Science, Biology, Zoology, etc. or a combination of education and experience
- Applicants must possess a valid drivers license
Applicants for this position are required to submit to a criminal background check and pass a drug test.
Applicant may be required to work any combination of five days in the seven day workweek including holidays.
How to Apply
3777 Nolensville Pike
Nashville, TN 37211
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...