Description: The Gardener position is responsible for maintaining the landscape of their assigned area. The Gardener must work hours appropriate to meet the needs of the Zoo. This may require weekends, holidays, and early or late shift start times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prune and weed landscaped areas
- Monitor irrigation systems and ensure they are working properly
- Hand water all plantings that are not established
- Install plants when necessary
- Responsible for assisting other departments and staff when requested
- Responsible for completing assigned tasks in an orderly efficient manner
- Responsible for furthering horticulture knowledge during tenure at the Zoo
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Ability and motivation to learn the plants on grounds and their proper care
- Ability to interact professionally with both staff and visitors
- Ability to perform assigned tasks in an organized and efficient manner
- Ability to professionally and safely use small, medium and heavy equipment and tools required for the execution of assigned tasks
- Must be able to work outside year round in inclement weather conditions such as extreme high/low temperatures, snow and rain conditions.
- Must be able to work on his or her feet for extended periods of time and have the ability to bend, stoop and extend oneself etc., as required for performing assigned tasks.
- Must be able to work off of ladders, scaffolding and lifts.
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Minimum High School diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- A background in landscaping or grounds maintenance is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Applicants for this position are required to submit to a criminal background check and pass a drug test.
Nashville Zoo is an EEO Institution and a Drug Free Workplace.
How to Apply
3777 Nolensville Pike
Nashville, TN 37211
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Edit your job posting
Submitting your job posting...