AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Lincoln Park Zoo
Lincoln Park Zoo inspires communities to create environments where wildlife will thrive in our urbanizing world. The zoo is a leader in local and global conservation, animal care and welfare, learning, and science. A historic Chicago landmark founded in 1868, the not-for-profit Lincoln Park Zoo, is a privately-managed, member-supported organization and is free and open 365 days a year. Visit us at lpzoo.org.
Under the management of the Director of Volunteer Services, this position is responsible for co-managing the on-grounds volunteers which includes leading daily pre-shift meetings, creating volunteer schedules, and providing support to volunteers during their shift. This position will also work closely with and is trained by the Manager of Volunteer Services and Training Programs. This position will support all aspects of the ‘Lincoln Park Zoo University’ (LPZooU) which encompasses the training and professional development program for employees, volunteers and interns (collectively staff). Full-time position, schedule is 5 days a week, Sunday – Thursday (subject to change). 35 hours per week.
· Administer online training resources for zoo staff through the zoo’s Learning Management System (LMS)
o Monitor compliance for assigned trainings
o Create and monitor sign-ups for trainings and LPZooU programs
o Assist users in need of basic tech support
o Coordinate logistics and host programs and presentations
o Upload courses and recorded presentations with accessibility features to LMS
o Maintain user accounts on LMS and update as needed
· Directly manage on-grounds volunteers and volunteer office which includes, but is not limited to:
o Making daily volunteer schedules
o Leading or co-leading daily pre-shift meetings
o Communicating information to volunteers on grounds during their shift
o Answering phone calls/radio calls/messages for the Volunteer Office
o Supporting volunteer needs and completing daily rounds
o Maintaining a clean and orderly office
· Provide oversight and engagement for the Volunteer Facebook Page
· Produce weekly zoo news and pre-shift materials for on-grounds volunteers
· Administer the volunteer email account
· Assist in creating departmental reports
· Support the team with administrative tasks including, but not limited to: room requests, ordering office supplies, sending out physical mailings, etc.
· Manage volunteers at large zoo events where many volunteers are needed
· Serve as a liaison to other areas around the zoo that utilize volunteer support
· Assist Manager of Volunteer Services and Training Programs with trainings and programs as needed
· Assist in the recruitment and onboarding of new volunteers
· Give presentations on the zoo’s volunteer program to external audiences as needed
· Support volunteer social and appreciation activities
· Support the volunteer recognition program
· Ability to work evenings and holidays on occasion
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Foster an environment of warmth, support, and consideration for the volunteers
· Position requires extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals from many backgrounds. Must be tactful and mature.
· Strong organization and planning skills. Ability to organize tasks to assure timely completion of projects.
· Considerable skill in organizing and utilizing virtual platforms including but not limited to Zoom, Facebook, etc.
· Must be fluent in English
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
o Ability to convey zoo’s mission, vision and program needs to others clearly
o Thorough knowledge of the zoo’s mission/vision and general policies and procedures
o Ability to engage and motivate an audience
· Must be comfortable with public speaking
· Ability to respond quickly to changes in volunteer needs
· Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, zoo visitors and general public. Proven ability to maintain good working relationships with a variety of people and groups.
· Ability to work closely with co-workers in a collaborative, open-office team environment
· Ability to troubleshoot and provide simple tech support for equipment including iPads two-way radios as well as online platform support such as resetting forgotten passwords
· B.A./B.S. required
· Public speaking experience required
· Previous experience working with volunteers strongly preferred
· Experience working with MS Office Suite preferred
· Experience working with online learning management systems preferred
· Guest service/customer service experience strongly preferred
· Experience in a zoo or cultural institution preferred
Note: A comparable combination of education, experience or training that would provide the levels of knowledge, skills and abilities required may qualify individual
· Ability to traverse zoo campus
· Ability to work in all weather conditions
· Ability to sit at a computer for long periods of time
· Proof of COVID vaccine
The salary of this position is commensurate with experience ranging in the mid $40,000’s and includes a full benefit package.
Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, values and experiences of all people. For Wildlife. For All.
Lincoln Park Zoo2001 N Clark StChicago, IL 60614Phone: 13127422020Fax: Lincoln Park Zoo
Visit our website
@Lincoln Park Zoo
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.