AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Elmwood Park Zoo is a non-profit who's mission is to foster an appreciation for wildlife and the environment that will inspire active participation in conservation.
We are currently accepting applications for our Zookeeping Internship from motivated and qualified individuals interested in pursuing a rewarding career as a zoo keeper. This internship will provide the intern with valuable hands-on experience with a large number of animals from the zoo’s varied exhibit collection including our giraffe, bison, reptiles and amphibians, rhea, zebra, elk, goats, donkeys, sheep and birds of prey. Please note none of our internships provide the opportunity to work directly with our big cats or our veterinary staff.
Zookeeping interns will work directly alongside our dedicated and experienced keepers in order to gain experience in all aspects of animal care and management in an AZA-accredited zoological organization. These duties include, but are not limited to: daily animal husbandry, diet and nutrition, regular cleaning and maintenance of animal areas and exhibits, behavioral observations, animal enrichment and guest interactions. In addition interns will have the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas as available: exhibit set-up and design, positive reinforcement training programs, animal welfare/wellness assessments and record keeping.
Applicants must be able to work a minimum of (2) 10 hour shifts per week and work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures. Interns will be working side by side with experienced keepers as well as staff and volunteers from various departments in the Zoo and should be comfortable working in a team environment.
All applicants should be willing to approach the internship as a valuable opportunity to learn, gain experience and create a network to advance their career.
– Graduates and current college students looking to pursue a career in conservation, non-traditional education, museum, biology or animal science related major
– Applicants that are serious about a career as a Zoo professional
– Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but desired
– The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
– Must be able to do physical work on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
– Must have complete/clear TB test, PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
– You must be at least 18 years of age
– Must commit to 100% in-person shifts in Norristown, PA, no Work From Home opportunities
– Interns will be provided with the opportunity to learn in a non-profit AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices – Interns will be provided with hands-on experiential learning and mentored by our talented keeper staff – Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative – EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
Complete an application on the zoo’s website:
You will need to attach a resume.
ELMWOOD PARK ZOO1661 HARDING BLVDNorristown, PA 19401-2974Phone: 1.800.652.4143
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.