AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Under the direction of the General Curator, this Curatorial position will direct and oversee all aspects of our Bird show, Animal Outreach, and our zoo-wide Animal Well-being/Enrichment program. Must have a strong background in choice and control presentations with motivational animal management. This position oversees the daily operation of assigned areas of the Fresno Chaffee Zoo. Responsibilities include planning, supervising and directing all work associated with the care, display, propagation and procurement of the assigned animal collection. This position requires collaboration with Zoo staff, contractors and the public to advance the Zoo’s mission of providing excellent guest experience, staff experience, and animal care.
Our comprehensive compensation package includes Medical/Dental/Vision, Employee Assistance Program, 401k, 10 Paid Holidays, Paid Sick and Paid Vacation time on an accrued basis. The minimum pay for this position is $64,575/ year. Offers will be based on the successful candidate's experience.
· Develops animal collection plans in accordance with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. and zoo’s policies Implements recommendations and planning for acquisition and disposition of zoo animals. Ensures that daily operations of assigned area(s) are in compliance with all USDA, AZA, and other state and federal regulations.
· Maintains animal records and prepares detailed reports as necessary to maintain the animal collection.
· Works with Veterinary/Nutrition staff to ensure healthy diets are developed for collection animals.
· Works with and assists SSP and TAGs in reaching research and population management goals.
· Intricately involved with all aspects of exhibit design.
· Oversees wellness assessments, behavioral enrichment and animal training programs for areas of responsibility, following guidelines and expectations of AZA, and zoo policies.
· Oversees staff and animal safety in areas of responsibility.
· Responsible for all purchasing for assigned areas and works with General Curator to develop budget for animal department. Oversight and implementation of area budget when appropriate.
· Directs and participates in the selection, orientation and training for Zookeeper staff and Zoological animal manager.
· Works with team to train and guide volunteer activities within the section.
· Assists in planning and implementing marketing activities.
· Participates in the IC emergency response system as a recapture coordinator or Incident commander when assigned.
· Assists Veterinary staff with animal health management.
· Responds to specific inquiries from the public concerning the zoological collection, when requested.
· Interacts with the media in a professional and engaging manner.
· Provides opportunities for staff development.
· Manages payroll for direct reports and oversees the implementation of wage and hour regulations.
· Manages the schedules for all direct reports and oversees the implementation of appropriate regulations.
· Assumes other responsibilities as necessary to ensure achievement of established objectives.
· Customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgement.
· Leads through connecting individual and team skills and passions with organizational needs.
· Effectively solves problems and learns from mistakes.
· Employs teamwork, when appropriate, to find solutions.
· Reports to meetings and activities on time, engaged, and prepared.
· Prioritizes tasks in order to be respectful of others’ time.
· Respond to emails and other communications within 2 business days.
· All written communication contains professional and proper language
· Demonstrates follow through.
· Accountable for team leadership and management.
· Actively creates connections that encourage open and honest communication with all.
· Provides regular performance feedback and coaching to reporting staff.
· Completes timely and appropriate written evaluations that highlight strengths and areas for improvement.
Qualifications/ Minimum Job Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· Minimum five years’ related experience in an AZA accredited facility. Minimum two years’ supervisory experience preferred.
· Strong verbal and written English skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with varied stakeholders. Bilingual skills a plus.
· Solid computer skills, including proficiency working with databases and Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point required.
· Strong planning, analytical and decision making skills are required, with the ability to work in a dynamic, evolving organization.
· Demonstrated motivational and problem solving acumen with a high degree of integrity and ethics.
· Possesses the ability to articulate and inspire support for a vision of the future.
· Valid California driver’s license.
· Ability to work evenings, weekdays, weekends, and holidays
These are physical and mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the Zoo may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
· Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading. Color perception is also required.
· Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication (in person and via telephone), at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
· Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken information to others in small and large group settings.
· Hand and finger dexterity sufficient for typing and other administrative tasks.
· The employee is regularly required to lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds, and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
· This position regularly works with others including Zoo executives and employees, Zoo guests and community members, media and government officials.
· The position primarily functions outdoors, with frequent exposure to outdoor Zoo environments and external events.
· The employee is regularly exposed to a variety of animals with risk of animal bites (including venomous), zoonotic disease, and other animal-related injury.
· Regular local travel and occasional out-of-town travel required.
min $64,575/ year
Fresno Chaffee Zoo894 W. Belmont AveFresno, CA 93728Phone: 5594985910
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.