AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The General Curator is responsible for directing all aspects of the animal care department, including husbandry, conservation, propagation and display of the Zoo’s animal collection. The position oversees the training and supervision of all Animal Care Department staff. This position requires collaboration with Zoo staff, other AZA facilities, government officials, contractors and the public to advance the Zoo’s mission of providing excellent guest experience, staff experience, and animal care. The General Curator serves as the oversight for all AZA managed animal programs. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, this position is expected to participate with all other team members in a collegial and collaborative manner, considering issues and making decisions from the view of the Zoo as a whole, without partiality to one’s own area(s) of responsibility. Members of the Executive Leadership Team must be able to employ systems thinking and understand that all areas of the Zoo are interrelated and dependent on one another.
Our comprehensive compensation package includes Medical/Dental/Vision, Employee Assistance Program, 401k, 10 Paid Holidays, Paid Sick and Paid Vacation time on an accrued basis. The minimum pay for this position is $ 86,353/year. Offers will be based on the successful candidate's experience.
· Ensures that the Zoo complies with all local, state and federal regulations that pertain to animal care. Obtains and maintains necessary permits, licenses, and records for keeping captive wildlife.
· Acts as liaison with the other zoos, universities, scientific, and governmental institutions, and with professional associations in order to remain current with zoological, natural history, and conservation information.
· Oversees in the development of a scientifically based animal collection plan in response to the master plan and to meet the mission of the zoo in accordance to the Association of Zoos and Aquariums standards.
· Makes recommendations and negotiates for the acquisition and disposition of zoo animals consistent with the AZA’s Policy on Responsible Population Management.
· Oversees zoo registrar in maintaining all animal records and preparing detailed reports on inventory. Oversees registrar in maintaining all permits required for current collection
· Works with the Veterinary staff to identify and/or resolve behavioral or medical problems in the animal collection, institutional approved research projects, and recommended health care delivery.
· Researches and manages the design and/or modification of animal enclosures and exhibits
· Development and review of all AZA documents for accreditation.
· Works with design team on all design and implementation of projects/ expansions within the zoo.
· Develops and implements annual Animal Care budgets.
· Develops policies and protocols for Animal Care staff and zoo visitors.
· Assists in planning and implementing marketing activities.
· Responds to specific inquiries from the public concerning the zoological collection in a timely manner.
· Assists the Security staff with the emergency procedures and protocols.
· Member of the Emergency response team, fulling both the RC/IC roles
· Directs and participates in the selection and training for Animal Care Management staff.
· Interacts with the media in a professional and engaging manner.
· Effectively trains and coaches Animal Care staff and completes performance reviews in a timely manner.
· Provides leadership and direction for Animal Care staff and oversees all personnel management activities for the department.
· Manages payroll for direct reports and oversees the implementation of wage and hour regulations.
· Manages the schedules for all direct reports and oversees the implementation of appropriate regulations.
· Actively participates in board meetings, docent meetings and other meetings as required.
· Attends marketing and development events when necessary.
· Customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgement.
· Leads through connecting individual and team skills and passions with organizational needs.
· Effectively solves problems and learns from mistakes.
· Employs teamwork, when appropriate, to find solutions.
· Reports to meetings and activities on time, engaged, and prepared.
· Prioritizes tasks in order to be respectful of others’ time.
· Respond to emails and other communications within 2 business days.
· All written communication contains professional and proper language
· Demonstrates follow through.
· Accountable for team leadership and management.
· Actively creates connections that encourage open and honest communication with all.
· Provides regular performance feedback and coaching to reporting staff.
· Completes timely and appropriate written evaluations that highlight strengths and areas for improvement.
Qualifications/ Minimum Job Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology or another applicable field.
· Minimum 10 years’ related experience in an AZA accredited facility. Minimum five years’ management experience managing animal teams preferred.
· Strong verbal and written English skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with varied stakeholders. Bilingual skills a plus.
· Solid computer skills, including proficiency working with databases and Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point required.
· Strong planning, analytical and decision-making skills are required, with the ability to work in a dynamic, evolving organization.
· Demonstrated motivational and problem-solving acumen with a high degree of integrity and ethics.
· Possesses the ability to articulate and inspire support for a vision of the future.
min $ 86,353/year
Fresno Chaffee Zoo894 W. Belmont AveFresno, CA 93728Phone: 5594985910
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.