AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Rhode Island Zoological Society
Roger Williams Park Zoo of Providence, Rhode Island, is one of the nation’s oldest zoos and home to over 100 animal species. Our culture is built on our core values: community, fun, innovation, diversity, integrity, sustainability, and excellence. We value our role in the community as a treasured place for families and a trusted resource for learning; we create a sense of community for our staff and contribute to the global conservation community. We provide a fun experience for our guests and believe that a fun environment is essential to create a great workplace. We are willing to take risks, to propose novel ideas and to think “out of the box”. Bold dreams are welcome here. We act with respect toward all. We value diversity and are intolerant of bias. Integrity and honesty drive our business practices and our relationships with each other and our constituents. We are driven by our vision of greater sustainability in our environmental practices and in our business model. We believe that by establishing a sustainable financial base we can best achieve our goals. We are always striving for excellence. We work to exceed expectations in all areas.
The RWPZ is currently recruiting a full-time, year-round, exempt, Director of Visitor Services, accountable to the Deputy Director of Operations, this individual is responsible for providing excellent guest service in all public areas of the Zoo and Carousel. This person is also responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring, directing, delegating and managing all operational aspects of the Guest Services department.
• Establish the Zoo’s positive reputation for premium service by hiring, training, evaluating, and supervising a world-class guest services team to ensure the highest standard of guest satisfaction in all areas of zoo and carousel ticket and ride operations. These areas include, but is not limited to, all point-of-sale locations, special zoo-wide and group sales events, queueing, ticket sales, membership and advanced ticket entry, paid activities, and food and retail services.
• Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relationships with fellow staff, guests, and clients.
• Ensures a positive first impression for visitors including signage, cleanliness and appearance of front gate and visitor amenities.
• Oversee food service and retail operations, including daily management, events.
• Oversee Group Sales including daily management and coordination of events.
• Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the food service and gift shop providers to ensure quality customer service and presentation.
• Resolve guest concerns, comments, and complaints that cannot be settled at the supervisory level, including managing and responding to patron’s complaints regarding zoo experience.
• Works with Deputy Director of Operations, Assistant Visitor Services Manager, Membership Manager, Group Sales Manager, General Managers of Food Services and Retail, Graphics Designer, Deputy Director of Animal Care, and B&G Manager to ensure the highest satisfaction level of the guest experience.
• Participate in civic and professional organizations to maintain and promote the zoo.
• Work with the Deputy Director of Operations, and General Managers of Food and Gift Services, to develop pricing guidelines and market position strategies on an annual basis.
• Review and recommend day-to-day operational policies and procedures for the department by maintaining contact with the customers, overseeing daily operations including zoo front gates, all ride activities, animal encounter activities, conducting surveys, developing systems to evaluate customer satisfaction, analyzing information, and implementing changes when necessary.
• Maintain cash and operational controls by:
a. addressing cash overages and shortages in a timely manner,
b. Conducting regular cash audits,
c. Applying consequences for cash handling violations.
• Develop and maintain budget and performance goals and ensure that performance targets are tracked, and goals are met.
• Work with the Security Manager and his staff to implement and conduct periodic reviews of all security and emergency response procedures.
• Work with HR to oversee the development and coordination of all job-specific training and on- going education programs for VS staff as it relates to guest interaction and services.
• Hold department meetings to ensure proper communications through-out the department staff.
• Assure sufficient numbers of seasonal, part-time and full-time employees are available to fill annual staffing requirements and that the front gate, rides and zoo are opened and closed at proper times.
• Assemble and analyze relevant data and prepare and deliver reports detailing guest experience activities to Senior Management.
• Serve as Emergency Response Coordinator as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director of Operations.
Required Experience and Education:
Completion of an associate degree at an accredited college or university in Business Management or related field, plus minimum of five years of managerial experience and two years of experience in managing a large venue box office, large paid event management, and food and retail operations or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Experience and Education:
Knowledge of Blackbaud/Altru Point of Sale System is a plus. Recent experience working with diverse populations and fluency speaking additional languages a plus.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Roger Williams Park Zoo
ATTN: Director of Visitor Services
1000 Elmwood Ave
Providence, RI 02907
Roger Williams Park ZooProvidence, RI 02907Phone: 4017853510
Visit our website
@Rhode Island Zoologi
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.