AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
This position oversees a diverse collection of birds, reptiles, and amphibians. The Curator of Reptiles/Amphibians will oversee and perform all animal acquisition, husbandry, daily maintenance, and exhibit design. The Curator will represent Butterfly Wonderland by being part of a team which emulates the mission and vision of the organization, emphasizing strong educational and conservation messaging, and delivering excellence in guest service The Curator should have passion for conservation and management of these taxa.
This position is a salaried position with a co-management of supervising a team of curators in a multi-faceted animal venue
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for maintaining the highest level of animal husbandry and welfare including proactive and reactive identification, communication and management areas of opportunity
· Responsible for advanced husbandry and behavioral training and proficiency of taxon knowledge of animals in assigned area
· Design and implementation of specialized maintenance for exhibits and back up livestock.
· Supervise all aspects of reptile, bird, aquatic and amphibian care and maintenance of exhibits.
· Responsible for overseeing and approving ordering of all supplies related to care and maintenance of reptile, amphibian and bird exhibits.
· Responsible for the procurement of reptile, amphibian animals for exhibit and ambassador programs
· Help create and implement enrichment plans for animals
· Assists in mentoring and training of all curatorial staff assisting in said assigned animal area
· Communicate all pertinent operational information to the Executive Director as needed.
· Liaison for all veterinary care provided to all Butterfly Wonderland livestock.
· Coordinate, facilitate, and supervise all educational interactions with guests.
· Works closely with Executive Director regarding all budget guidelines.
· Responsible for the overall appearance for the entire exhibit areas, maintenance and fabrication of animal habitats
· Work a close liaison with creative marketing team for uniform signage and replacement signage.
· Work closely with facilities team as to major repairs that may be needed.
· Work closely with Education Department for seminars, interactive events for members and guests.
· Provides and participates in education, public relations, membership programs including facility tours and lectures as directed and needed regarding the BW facility and various exhibits.
· Performs and manages day to day care, record keeping of animal behavior and health, and maintenance required for animal enclosures, exhibits and containment areas as outlined in the standard operating procedures and established protocols
· Focus on Ambassador programs – work closely and collaboratively with other departments for the welfare of our animals and enhanced guest experiences
· Represents the Animal Collection and Butterfly Wonderland to visiting investors, professionals, media and guests
· Availability to work weekends and holidays or irregular hours dictated by animal or business needs
· Consistently work on building a cohesive team of curators with knowledge, educational skills and guest interaction skills
· Bachelor of Science (biology, Zoology) degree (or higher) preferred
· Strong writing and editing skills.
· Minimum of 4 years in a zoological reptile/amphibian work experience
· Must lead by example, have strong communication skills and be able to work with the general public.
· Must be able to motivate, energize, educate a diverse group of curators as part of the curatorial team
· Must be able to handle confidential information.
· Strong computer skills, including Word and Excel.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Successful completion of pre-employment drug screening and background check.
· Allergies related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work, must be controlled by medications or protective equipment.
· Ability to operate a computer and keyboard.
· Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to push/pull, lift up to thirty (50) pounds.
· Ability to work in warm, humid environments for long periods of time.
· Ability to climb ladders up to 6’ and structures that are higher.
· Must be able to do strenuous physical activity including: digging, pruning, planting, watering, brush removal and other maintenance related activities.
Free entry into all attractions & team discounts
Follow this link to our Indeed Job Posting! https://www.indeed.com/job/reptiles-amphibians-supervisor-b0db494477ee108a
Butterfly Wonderland9500 East Vía de VenturaScottsdale, AZ 85256
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.