AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Chicago Zoological Society's Brookfield Zoo is seeking a Safety Coordinator to conduct environmental health and safety workplace and work practice audits and inspections; assist with the management of the Society’s Safety Representative Program; coordinate, provide, and document employee safety training programs; respond to, investigate, and document safety concerns; respond to fire alarms; and maintain/inspect fire extinguishers and emergency lighting throughout our 200+ acre park. The Safety Coordinator not only ensures the safety of facilities, employees and guests, but also of the animals! This is a full-time salaried role that offers a comprehensive benefits package.
By working for the Chicago Zoological Society at Brookfield Zoo you will make a meaningful difference by supporting a mission-based organization that takes PRIDE in everything we do. Every job at Brookfield Zoo is important to creating a safe, clean, family-friendly environment for our two million annual guests. It is a dynamic work environment where no two days are ever the same.
Under the guidance of the VP, Risk & Facilities Management, the Safety Coordinator contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by developing, implementing and coordinating Safety policies, procedures, audits and training in support of the organization’s goals related to sustainability through risk management and achievement of safety objectives.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
The requirements for this position include the following:
• High school diploma or (GED) equivalent.
• Bachelor of Science degree in safety or related field or eight years of equivalent training and experience required.
• Two years relevant experience in the safety field.
• Specific knowledge of OSHA laws and regulations, EPA, DOT and NFPA regulations and codes, Uniform Fire Codes, Uniform Building Codes, Compensation Laws, public health requirements and other applicable legislations and requirements required.
• Strong ability to understand, communicate and carry out oral and written instructions, prepare clear, comprehensive reports, and accurately review reports from subordinates.
• English fluency at a professional working proficiency.
• Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine proper course of action.
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent rapport with others, excellent public relations, strong communication and collaborative skills.
• Ability to handle sensitive information, maintain confidences, distinguish confidential materials and apply Society standards for security and privacy.
• Strong problem-solving, decision-making and prioritization skills. Ability to work well under pressure, meet critical deadlines, and manage time effectively. Position requires an eye for detail and accuracy.
• Computer proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Cultural proficiency; experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
• Valid driver’s license required.
The preferred qualifications:
• OSHA-certified Safety Instructor for General Industry desired.
• Knowledge of life safety systems preferred.
• Safety Professional Certification desired.
• Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
Additional Information: This position description summarizes the primary duties and functions of this position, but should not be considered a complete listing of every duty the incumbent may ever be called upon to perform. This is a full-time position, which includes working rotating weekends, evening and holidays as assigned. This position also requires rotating 24-hour “on-call” status shared with the VP. Incumbent must be an active participant in maintaining a high level of customer service and work with staff to ensure the highest level of customer service is delivered. Individual must gain a strong working understanding of department operations and procedures, the Society’s mission, vision, values and operating philosophies and how work activities affects the operation of the Society and other departments.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
Short-term, long-term & accidental death insurance plans
401k with employer match, financial planning
Generous Paid Time Off
AFLAC, LifeLock Identity Theft Protection & Pet Insurance options
Free Admission & parking, including immediate family
Discounted Zoo Day Camp
Discounts on Zoo purchases
Workplace safety is the Chicago Zoological Society’s top priority. We require all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless they request and receive a religious or medical exemption. New hires must have at least received their first vaccine dose prior to their start date. (Updated 9/16/22)
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/careers. Please use the Advanced Search feature to look for requisition number 2392BR.
Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo3300 Golf RoadBrookfield, IL 60513
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.