AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Penn State's Nature Center, https://www.shaverscreek.org/, is seeking an organized, dedicated, and responsible individual to serve as the Wildlife Education and Engagement Program Director, overseeing ambassador animal education programs and visitor engagement in the Klingsberg Aviary and Litzinger Herpetarium.
A successful candidate will be able to:
• Direct the Aviary and Herpetarium program portfolio, including outreach programming at Shaver's Creek, off-site public workshops, and academic classes that support the training of university students
• Oversee the daily operations of the Litzinger Herpetarium and the Klingsberg Aviary, as well as manage personnel and animal welfare schedules
• Supervise, train, and evaluate full-time and part-time staff
• Play an active part in the recruiting, training, and management of emerging professionals, both paid and unpaid, within the animal program
• Ensure excellent welfare and educational presentation of our ambassador animals by overseeing program coordinators decisions regarding husbandry, program participation, and health evaluation
• Manage the Aviary and Herpetarium Program budgets that include program delivery and daily animal care; this includes understanding the overall Shaver's Creek budget, proper use of gift and endowment monies and the interrelationship to other Shaver's Creek program budgets
• Advance Shaver's Creek development efforts by making connections and working with current and future donors relevant to the Wildlife Education and Engagement Program
• Oversee the maintenance and improvement of the facility and physical aspects of the Klingsberg Aviary and Litzinger Herpetarium to ensure safety considerations for all animal ambassadors and people (staff, volunteers, and Shaver's Creek visitors)
• Provide daily program administration which includes serving as the primary point of contact with permitting agencies including US Fish and Wildlife Service, PA Game Commission, PA Fish and Boat Commission, and Penn State University's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
• Be an active member of the professional industry and support local, regional, national, and international research efforts relating to wild animal welfare, behavior, training, and education
This position typically requires a Bachelor's Degree or higher plus 4 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position requires the following clearances: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Use the following link to apply - https://apptrkr.com/3158551
Penn State’s Nature Center, Shaver’s Creek Environmental CenterUniversity Park, PA
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.