AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
OdySea Aquarium is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated person to join the Animal Health Department as the Animal Health Technician. This position is responsible for providing support to the Animal health department and OdySea Aquarium’s divers Animal Care Team and animal collection. Areas of concentration include exam preparation, case follow up, medical records, proper equipment operation & maintenance, inventory, and establishing standard operating procedures that emphasize current industrial standards.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Under general supervision, assists the veterinarian in the medical care of the animal collection including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates housed at the OdySea Aquarium.
• Works closely with the animal care staff and aquarists for medical updates, treatments and diagnostics.
• Assist in the maintenance of medical records, participating in quarantine procedures and preventative health programs.
• Proficiency in assisting with diagnostic testing
• Establishes and implements standard operating procedures, stressing the highest quality of care in regard to animal care and health.
• Conducts chemical and cytological analyses of fluids and biological samples such as water, blood, feces and urine to determine normal or abnormal levels. Prepares biological specimens for shipment.
• Researches and investigates problems with clinical laboratory procedures and makes or recommends modifications and corrections as appropriate.
• Performs cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instruments, diagnostic equipment, and hospital/procedure areas.
• Dispenses and administers medications, treatments and vaccinations to animals as prescribed by the veterinarian.
• Orients, mentors and teaches clinical diagnostic, treatment and laboratory methods, procedures and techniques to staff as appropriate.
• Supervises, evaluates and develops staff and ensures effective and ongoing medical training of staff.
• In conjunction with laboratory staff manages inventory for the laboratory and medical areas.
• Maintains personal and professional development.
• Maintains confidentiality of information received at all times.
• Maintains excellent cross functional team leadership and participation skills.
• Performs other related duties required by veterinarian to maintain and operate the Animal Health Department safely and efficiently.
• Willingness to work nights, holidays, weekends and long hours as demanded by the operation.
• Perform other duties as workload necessitates.
•Veterinary Technology/Technician degree from an AVMA accredited program.
•Minimum of 3 years of veterinary technical experience, with at least 1-2 years of experience workingwith exotic/zoo/marine animals (aquatic animal experience preferred).
•Ability to independently perform complex, advanced clinical procedures with veterinarian oversightas needed.
•Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet databaseaccess.
•Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards and follow standard operating procedures.
•Ability to analyze, verify and manipulate clinical and/or laboratory data to maintain accurate results.
•Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems, and to provide corrective measures.
•Demonstrate a strong dedication to furthering one’s knowledge about the animal collection andoverall operation.
•Positive attitude and the ability to work with a large, diverse group of employees, volunteers, etc.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
•Successful completion of a pre-employment drug testing and background investigation.•Allergies related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work, must be controlled by medications or protective equipment.•Ability to push/pull up to 50 pounds•Ability to stand for long periods of time, as well as walk.•Ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.•Ability to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb stairs, or crawl.•Required to frequently talk and hear.•No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement which might interfere with ability to work.•Specific vision requirement for this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.•Must be able to take directional cues directly or indirectly.•Ability to work in an environment that may be loud at times.•Ability to work in all weather conditions, including occasional extreme hot or cold, and wet and/or humid conditions.•Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Free entry into all attractions.
OdySea Aquarium 9500 East Vía de Ventura Scottsdale, AZ 85256Phone: (480) 291-8000
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.