AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
About Zoo Atlanta: Located just minutes from downtown, Zoo Atlanta is the oldest and one of the most respected cultural destinations in the Southeast’s largest and most vibrant city. Culture, dining, nightlife, and famously eclectic neighborhoods, not to mention a temperate climate year-round, attract a growing number of newcomers to the one-and-only Atlanta.
As an organization, Zoo Atlanta’s points of pride include being one of only three zoos in the U.S. to house giant pandas; home of one of North America’s largest populations of great apes; and a longtime reputation for excellence in the care and study of reptiles and amphibians. Our mission sets us apart, and every day at Zoo Atlanta is an opportunity for discovery, a chance to contribute to conservation, and a way to make a difference in the lives of the people of our community.
As a workplace, Zoo Atlanta is very proud of a commitment to diversity and inclusion and a competitive compensation and benefits package. Benefits include but are not limited to outstanding medical coverage and 403b retirement program match; vacation time buy and sell; professional development training; paid time off for community volunteering; and more.
Full-time perks include:
* Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance
* Retirement Savings Plan (403b) with employer match after 12 months of service
* Paid time off includes vacation, sick and personal days plus holidays
* Tuition assistance program
* Employee Assistance Program
* Employee short term and long-term disability insurance paid for by Zoo Atlanta
* Opportunities for professional development paid for by Zoo Atlanta
* Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions
* Complimentary family Zoo membership
Job Purpose: The Horticulture Technician I is responsible for landscape duties and functions as necessary to meet operating needs with a high degree of efficiency and independence to maintain performance standards. This position will work with the maintenance/grounds staff to clear animal areas of debris, materials, etc. The Horticulture Technician I will report to the Lead Horticulture Technician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Installation and maintenance of plant materials, seasonal color, and turf for all Zoo landscapes and animal exhibits; includes pruning, pest management, greenhouse management, irrigation and public interaction
Assist with supervision of seasonal staff and Volunteers
Experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of grounds equipment, especially those related to horticulture and agriculture, skid steer loaders, and backhoe tractors, is desired.
Assist with identification and resolution of problems in order to maintain the Zoo’s botanical collection
Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment as assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Horticulture management team
* Knowledge and culture of plants, horticultural practices, procedures, and principles, is desired.
* Knowledge of installation, maintenance, and repair of irrigation systems preferred
Special skills and abilities:
* Communicate effectively verbally and in writing; understand and follow instructions.
* Operate mowers, weed-eaters, hedge-trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, tillers, chippers, sprayers, and other related equipment.
* Good organizational and communication skills required.
* Must be able to work as a team member and with little or no direct supervision.
* Experience in an animal diet kitchen or other food prep operation is a plus.
* Must be able to pass Social Security and criminal background checks; must consent to TB, drug and HPE tests.
* Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year; therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Driving Requirements: Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Perform physical tasks such as lifting > 50 pounds, digging, standing, walking, bending, climbing, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job; must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather. Work schedule may include weekends, evenings and holidays.
MISCELLANEOUS: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Job Title: Horticulture Tech I
Reports to: Horticulture Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time benefitted, hourly
Salary: $14.55-$16.90 per hour
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment.
If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
$14.55-$16.90 per hour
Direct link to application: https://zooatlanta.atsondemand.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=512699.viewjobdetail&CID=512699&JID=818900&BUID=4090
Zoo Atlanta800 Cherokee Avenue SEAtlanta, GA 30315
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.