AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
To maintain and care for a variety of animals within the Zoo; to assist veterinary staff as needed; and to perform a variety of activities relative to the assigned area of responsibility. Positions at this level are initially expected to perform under immediate supervision, progressing to general supervision as knowledge operating of procedures is gained. This position is for 400 hours of work generally in the form of 10 weeks, 40-hour weeks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Feed and water animals in and around existing quarters; clean, sanitize, maintain, and repair animal quarters as required; sweep, dust, and mop floors
• Prepare diets for animals; clean and maintain work area and food storage containers
• Maintain adequate records on daily activities; observe animal behavior for signs of illness, weight loss/gain or injury; report any signs of illness or injury; assist veterinarians in minor operations or related activity as needed
• Assist in the training of assigned animals, guide animals through daily routines according to established training schedules and guidelines
• Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner
• Care for new and quarantined animals when required; obtain and submit fecal samples as needed
• Assist in directing the proper restraint, crating, moving, and uncrating of animals
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Demonstrated knowledge of:
• Operations, services, and activities of a zoo animal program
• Methods and techniques of handling a variety of animals
• Proper feeding and diet requirements of a variety of animal species
• Operational characteristics of animal handling and food preparation equipment
• Safe work procedures when around animals
• Principles and procedures of record keeping
Must possess ability to:
• Work with a variety of domestic and wild animals
• Clean and maintain assigned animal enclosures as directed by supervisor
• Operate a variety of animal equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner
• Implement diet instructions specified by nutritionist
• Maintain accurate records on animal behavior and prepare reports
• Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Maintain mental capacity which permits making sound decisions and using good judgment, prioritizing work activities, demonstrating intellectual capabilities
• Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting, walking, or standing for extended periods of time, working closely with others, operating assigned equipment
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
• One year of increasingly responsible zoo keeping experience, compensation will be experience dependent
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized collegiate courses/training in zoology or a related field
Certificates, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
• Must posses a valid Class "C" driver license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
• Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb and reach overhead
• Frequently required to lift 50-75 lbs., unassisted
• Must be able to push and pull exhibit/animal doors with push/pull force of 50-75 lbs.
• Must be able to use heavy duty, 100ft. water hose and squeegee to clean out animal areas
• Must be able to rake and sweep feces; lift with shovel into trash cans; lift (assisted) trash cans onto truck; haul to dumpster; remove trash cans from truck and empty into dumpster
• Must be able to operate assigned equipment
• Must be able to work in all types of inclement weather
• Team oriented Zoo environment
• Ability to work flexible hours
• Exposure to a variety of domestic, wild and/or endangered animals, animal odors and animal body fluids
• Exposure to all types of inclement weather conditions
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
$16.00 per hour with 1 year prior animal experience
Apply online at fortworthzoo.org/careers
Fort Worth Zoo1989 Colonial Parkway Fort Worth , TX 76110
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.