AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Job Title: Keeper II/III
Reports to: Lead Keeper and Curators
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
About Zoo Atlanta:
Minutes from downtown, Zoo Atlanta is the oldest and one of the most respected cultural destinations in the Southeast’s largest and most vibrant city. Culture, dining, nightlife, and famously eclectic neighborhoods, not to mention a temperate climate year-round, attract a growing number of newcomers to the one-and-only Atlanta. Atlanta is known as the "City in the Trees," with the Zoo and surrounding neighborhood showcasing why. The zoo is in a strong financial position and is committed to investing in our staff and facilities to continue our focus on animal care, research, and conservation. We offer competitive pay rates, a diverse animal collection and an enriching work environment. We are looking for new team members dedicated to providing the best in animal welfare.
Job Purpose: We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic team player to add to join our very positive bird team. The Keeper II is responsible for bird husbandry (including positive and enrichment) and maintenance of habitats, holding and public areas of the assigned area. The Keeper II will report to the area managers. This position is also eligible to be filled at a Keeper III level, additional experience is required
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper duties including excellent animal care and guest interactions including scheduled on-ground talks.
Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment.
Actively support and implement area policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests with the willingness to provide constructive feedback.
Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including utilizing operant conditioning, giving goal-based enrichment, writing welfare assessments and assisting with research and education.
Complete Zoo Atlanta’s Behavioral Management course.
Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate in a team environment.
Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers.
Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers, both written and orally.
Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing, education, veterinary services, facilities, and external department initiatives.
When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars, activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge and professional development.
Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the Curators and Lead Keeper but there also potential to develop personal projects that align with department and Zoo Atlanta goals
Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
* A minimum of 3 years prior paid bird care experience as determined by Zoo Atlanta.
* Paid experience at an AZA accredited facility is preferred. To be considered for Keeper III five years of paid experience is required
* Working knowledge of incubation, breeding and rearing experience is required.
* Good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to give scheduled talks to guests, special groups, etc.
* Experience with operant conditioning and goal-based enrichment is strongly preferred but the successful candidate will be required to complete Zoo Atlanta’s Behavioral Management program
* Willingness to actively participate in welfare assessment of assigned species
* Must be able to function as a team member and support Zoo Atlanta’s mission.
* Must have strong written and oral skills and demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
* The ability to use light power tools after suitable training, additional light carpentry skills are a plus.
* Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
* Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work. The ability to lift 30 pounds regularly and 50 pounds as needed.
* Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance
* Relocating stipend for qualifying new employees
* Retirement Savings Plan (403b) with employer match after 12 months of service
* Paid time off includes vacation, sick and personal days plus holidays
* Tuition assistance program
* Employee Assistance Program
* Employee short term and long-term disability insurance paid for by Zoo Atlanta
* Opportunities for professional development paid for by Zoo Atlanta
* Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions
* Complimentary family Zoo membership
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
Direct link to application: https://zooatlanta.atsondemand.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=512699.viewjobdetail&CID=512699&JID=818750&BUID=4094
Check out the Zoo Atlanta careers website for more opportunities: https://zooatlanta.org/careers/
Zoo Atlanta 800 Cherokee Avenue SEAtlanta, GA 30315
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.