AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Gladys Porter Zoo is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week) trainer / zoo keeper in the Mammal department. This position will be part of a dynamic team that carries out the husbandry of gorillas, mandrills, bears, lions, tigers and some small carnivores. The job includes cleaning, feeding, watering, training, enrichment and behavioral observations. The selected applicant will also partner with the Curator of Behavioral Husbandry, Area Associate Curator, and Management Staff to develop and present enrichment and training opportunities.
• Experience (minimum one year in full capacity) working with primates and big cats; history of experience in animal care and training
• One year experience in an AZA accredited facility or professional zoological institution
• Must be physically fit and able to stand for long periods of time, bend, kneel, climb, and lift 50 lbs.
• Must have excellent powers of observation
• Must have good oral and written communication skills
• Must be able to work in varying weather conditions (heat, cold, rain, etc)
• Will be required to work weekends, holidays, some evenings, rotating schedules, and, as circumstances warrant, beyond normal work hours
Disclaimer: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. Therefore, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
100% employer-paid health and life insurance Paid time off: vacation, holidays and sick leave Friendly co-workers . . . join our family! Zoo-friendly community No traffic jams on the freeways Extremely low cost-of-living
Commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should submit a resume and references to the Curator of Mammals, Walter DuPree at email@example.com and Mark Echevarria at firstname.lastname@example.org before January 30, 2022. Please put the words “Gorilla/Big Cat” in the subject line.
Gladys Porter Zoo500 E. Ringgold StreetBrownsville, TX 78520Phone: 956 546-7187
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.