AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Interested in learning more about animal behavior? Come join us at the Virginia Zoo! We are currently looking to fill our next round of behavioral observation internships with the Animal Services department. The Behavioral Observation Intern will work with staff to collect and provide observational data that will contribute to the evaluation and assessment of animal behavior and welfare. The intern will learn about conducting, recording, and evaluating behavioral observations for a variety of species. Duties will include observing animal behavior, developing and evaluating enrichment, assisting with educating zoo visitors, and training volunteers on observation methods. The internship is unpaid, but there are many other benefits that will afford interns valuable experience. The next round of this internship open to new candidates runs from January 20, 2022 to May 9, 2022 and requires at least 15-20 hours of time devoted to the internship weekly.
• Be a current undergraduate or graduate student or recent graduate.
• Coursework in animal behavior, psychology, anthropology, biology, or ecology is recommended but not required
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel
• Experience with conducting ethograms on zoological animals preferred but not required
• Be available for at least 15-20 hours per week for the duration of the internship period
• Available on weekdays and weekends
• Able to use smartphone or tablet to input data via ZooMonitor app (training on data input and using the app will occur at the zoo and a tablet will be provided)
• Have reliable transportation to and from the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, VA
Applicants should submit a resume, 3 references and a cover letter to: Zookeeperinterns@norfolk.gov.
Please include “Behavioral Observation Internship” in the email subject line and indicate this specific internship in your cover letter. No phone calls or in-person inquiries please. Deadline December 23, 2021.
Virginia Zoo3500 Granby StNorfolk, VA 23504Phone: 7574412374255Fax: Virginia Zoo
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.