AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Duties:Zoo Atlanta's Herpetology Department plays an integral role in the Zoo's mission by providing informative, educational and engaging experiences; being respectful and responsible stewards of animals and the physical and financial assets entrusted to us; and engaging in related conservation activities and research. The Herpetology Department serves as one of the Zoo’s Centers of Excellence.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: This voluntary internship program provides qualified individuals with professional experience in the daily care of the departments’ animals and the opportunity to support animal care staff. The main role of interns is to work directly with animal care staff to keep areas clean, thus helping contribute to the welfare of the animals. Interns also have the opportunity to and are expected to participate in ongoing captive research programs.
RESPONSIBILIITES: Herpetology department interns are supervised by animal care staff within the department, however with some specific projects interns are expected to have the ability to work autonomously following direction. In addition to assisting with cleaning, some interns may have the opportunity to be involved with public presentations, diet preparation, animal feeding and special projects, including the creation of enrichment items and participation in research programs. Interns will be exposed to a wide variety of species, including amphibians, turtles and tortoises, lizards, and a large variety of snakes. Interns are expected to be comfortable working in proximity to these animals, however are prohibited from any interaction with venomous species. Assignments and opportunities that are available to a Herpetology Department intern are based on individual progress during the internship.
• Provide support to Herpetology Department staff in daily animal care duties
• Enhance productivity and efficiency of the Herpetology Department team
• Allow qualified individuals the opportunity to gain professional experience as a keeper intern at a world-class zoological facility
• Provide an opportunity to gain a strong understanding of potential careers in animal husbandry, research, and conservation.
Qualifications:• Must be 18 years of age or older (Upper Classman and recent college graduates are preferred)
• Must be able to work 8–32 hours/week
• Must be able to work a minimum of 4 hours per day on assigned days
• Must be able to work quietly, efficiently and safely around live animals
• Must provide proof of negative TB test and be willing to submit to a background check
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to be on your feet for up to 4 hours at a time and lift up to 30 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees and interns to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
Directions:A limited number of internships will be available in the Herpetology Department and the internships will be filled with the most qualified individuals.
Complete Online Application then email Cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of recommendation to email@example.com. The internship you are applying for needs to be in the subject line of the email.
• Cover letter must include:
1. Term for which you are applying
2. Why you are applying for this internship
3. What makes you a good candidate for this internship
4. If you are applying to multiple departments for internships at Zoo Atlanta. If so, please indict your top choice.
• 2 letters of recommendation may be submitted by the applicant or the reference; however, the applicant’s name should appear in the subject line of the email.
• Submit all required documents as one PDF or Microsoft Word file. (Letters of reference being sent directly from the reference are the only exception)
• Complete applications must be submitted by 4:00PM on the day of the application deadline.
• You will need to contact your college/university advisor to determine if our program qualifies for credit at your institution
• We make every effort to support additional projects your advisor requires in order to receive credit and are happy to discuss modifications of our program with your advisor
• Any paperwork, including project terms, evaluations, minimum hours, or any other requirements must be submitted upon acceptance into the program, no later than 2 weeks prior to the term start date.
• No preferential treatment will be granted to interns earning credit over interns not earning credit.
All submitted applications will be reviewed by the Manager of Volunteer Programs. Complete applications from applicants who have followed all directions will be sent onto internship departments for review and potential phone interviews. Applicants who do not follow directions will not be considered for internships.
Zoo AtlantaAtlanta, GA 30315Phone: 14046245822
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.