AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Living Desert is seeking qualified candidates to join our Animal Care Team as an Animal Care Keeper – Nutrition Center. This is a key, front-line position that requires a motivated, dedicated team player who is willing to make a significant commitment to the organization. This requires an enthusiastic individual with strong organizational, decision making, and task management skills while demonstrating ability to work effectively with all levels of staff in a consistently changing environment.
The Animal Care team is expected to support the Zoo in its mission “to support desert conservation through preservation, education and appreciation.” This position will help the Zoo achieve a forward-thinking vision of a modern zoo and inclusive culture. This person must have the ability to make good decisions regarding the welfare of animals, staff and guests while working for the greater good of the zoo. This person must be a cooperative and collaborative team member with a great guest service attitude.
Reports to Animal Care Curator. This position will be focused in the existing nutrition center as well as be instrumental in establishing the new Nutrition Center at the Rhino Savanna habitat opening Fall of 2021. Tasks will be daily diet preparations for over 500 animals, daily maintenance and cleanliness of the nutrition center, stocking and ordering supplies and food, and overseeing nutrition center volunteers and interns. This position will be expected to do keeper chats and guest engagement activities.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• AA, AS or higher degree in Zoology, Biology, Animal Science, food service or other related degree and at least one year of exotic animal experience. Bachelor degree preferred but not required.
• Experience in a kitchen/food prep and public presentations a plus.
• Will substitute training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skill, and abilities. Generally, one year of full time exotic animal experience will translate to one year of college.
• Valid California driver license.
• Must be insurable on The Living Desert's automobile policy.
• Standing, walking, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching motions, lifting (up to 50#)
• Exposure to extreme heat, chemicals and dust/airborne materials.
• Works with potentially dangerous animals (large ungulates, carnivores, venomous snakes)
• Holiday, evening, weekend work required. Available on as needed basis for emergencies and events.
• Travel opportunities for conferences, workshops and/or conservation projects as appropriate. Some or all expenses paid.
Paid Time Off (PTO) is accrued at a rate of .769 days per pay period which is equivalent to twenty (20) days on an annual basis. In addition to PTO you will receive seven (7) paid sick days on an annual basis. Your paid sick time for your first year will be pro-rated from your date of hire and then earned every July 1st thereafter. The Living Desert offers to its team members: Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance that is either paid in full or significantly subsidized by the organization. We also offer Voluntary Life Insurance, Short Term Disability Insurance and Flexible Spending Accounts. You are eligible to participate in our insurance programs the first day of the month following thirty days of employment. We also offer a 401(k) Plan to our eligible team members. You are eligible to participate in this plan after six months of employment. A one-time annual discretionary match at a percentage to be determined may be available to you on the last day of the fiscal year and paid after that time.
To apply for this position: Qualified applicants must send resume, three (3) references and cover letter care of Christine Montgomery to https://www.livingdesert.org/about-us/careers/. Cover letter should include how you will be key in moving the Animal Department forward and how you will move The Living Desert mission forward. Position open until filled.
The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens47900 Portola AvePalm Desert, CA 92260Phone: 760-346-5694Fax: 760-568-4842
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.