AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Nestled on 5 acres, Cosley Zoo is home to farm animals and native Illinois wildlife. Visitors will discover exhibits that immerse them in natural habitats for white-tailed deer, red fox, Blanding’s turtles, a bobcat, a coyote, and more. Cosley Zoo is also a center for animal education and conservation, offering programs that teach young and old how to care for the world around them and give back to the communities in which they live, work, and play.
This position is responsible for implementing a comprehensive facility maintenance management plan of daily, periodic, and preventive maintenance tasks and facility and equipment repairs. This position assists with facilitation of new construction related to grounds and facilities within Cosley Zoo.
Minimum of high school graduate or GED with at least four years’ experience in park maintenance, building construction, and/or land development trades. Knowledge and skills in three (3) or more of the following trades: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, cement finishing, HVAC, masonry or landscape construction. Supervisory and leadership experience required. Must be familiar with Microsoft Office Suite and provide great written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills. Must have good interpersonal and time management skills.
1. Attendance at work site required every day.
2. Work the necessary hours to produce exceptional results which may include weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
3. Effectively use and supervise all available human resources, materials, supplies, and equipment.
4. Monitor for and perform routine preventive maintenance to exhibits, buildings, grounds, assigned vehicles and equipment, including hand and power tools.
5. Design, estimate, and install all aspects of various building trades’ projects (plumbing, carpentry, electrical, mechanical repair, and specialty tools for the animal care department).
6. Maintain effective two-way communication with Zoo Director, and other zoo staff on concerns related to the facility and grounds.
7. Work effectively as a team with all zoo staff.
8. Take an active role in team functions including the Zoo’s Emergency Preparedness Team and other groups as assigned.
9. Operate all fleet equipment and tools necessary for facility maintenance and repairs including a skid-steer, pick-up truck, and horse trailer, hand and power tools safely and efficiently.
10. Prepare project cost estimates and plans for small construction projects.
11. Prepare annual line item budget information for all maintenance, repair, and capital projects.
12. Facilitate snow and ice removal throughout the zoo and the adjacent administration building.
13. Maintain accurate inventory of custodial and maintenance supplies.
14. Submit and maintain accurate records and reports.
Page 2 of 3
15. Manage, monitor, and control water quality in water features in partnership with the animal care department.
16. Transport equipment, supplies, and animals as necessary
17. Wear personal protective equipment for job function when needed.
18. Provide a high quality of customer service in a professional manner to the internal customer that will facilitate team building and exceptional customer service to the external customer.
19. Contribute to a feedback rich environment.
20. Hire, train, manage, lead, coach, direct, schedule, discipline, motivate, evaluate, provide quarterly feedback and recommend merit increases for assigned staff ensuring an effective and efficient department and successful District run in accordance with Department of Labor laws and District policies and procedures.
21. Follow the Wheaton Park District policies, procedures, and guidelines.
22. Proactively support the V.A.L.U.E.S. (integrity, fun, commitment, adaptability and growth, kindness, and service) on a daily basis.
23. Strive for continuous improvement of systems and self.
24. Maintain good safety awareness and follow all safety guidelines and procedures.
Full benefits including health insurance, retirement, paid vacation, paid sick days, paid personal days, continuing education support, and more.,
Go to www.cosleyzoo.org, select the "job" link and follow directions.
Cosley Zoo1356 N. Gary AvenueWheaton, IL 60187Phone: 630.665.5534
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.