AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Wildlife Safari is presently seeking a candidate for the full-time position of Village Animal Keeper. Qualified applicants will have demonstrated a high level of expertise, motivation and creativity in the husbandry and exhibition of a wide variety of animals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
· Daily husbandry of all Village animals including small carnivores, small mammals, primates, reptiles, birds, and fish.
· Must be able to work within a team as well as independently.
· Observe animal behavior, report abnormal behavior patterns and provide technical advice to management and staff.
· Prepare food; assist in the development of animal diets.
· Clean and disinfect exhibit areas.
· Follow treatment plans and preventive health programs as prescribed by Zoo Veterinarian or Zoo Curator.
· Identify and communicate safety concerns to management in a timely manner.
· Participate in the capture and restraint of dangerous animals as directed by management.
· Implement animal care procedures and policies, including record keeping.
· Maintain supply inventories.
· Assist with the physical transfer, shipment, or receipt of animals.
· Support special animal care activities such as physical examinations, minor exhibit repairs and modifications, and major exhibit maintenance projects.
· Assist in development and implementation of enrichment program
· Assist in development and implementation of training programs using operant conditioning
· Plan, prepare, and conduct public presentations on animal care and conservation.
· Be comfortable with public speaking and participate in formal and informal keeper talks
· Participate in exhibit design process and implementation, as directed.
· Support fundraising/development efforts of the Zoo.
· Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
· Adapt to changes in a fast paced environment.
· Interact with and supervise volunteers and interns in a tactful, courteous manner.
· Have and use good decision making/problem solving skills
· Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An associates degree or higher in a related field (zoology, biology, animal science, etc.) is required with at least one year exotic animal care experience. Preference will be given to individuals with a working knowledge of animal training using operant conditioning.
Zoo keeping is a physically demanding profession, and as a keeper you will be exposed to variety of physical and environmental challenges. Keepers are required to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Tasks are strenuous and you must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs. repeatedly, move at least 120lbs, bend, twist, push, and reach.
Basic computer skills and knowledge of MS office and excel. Experience with ZIMS also preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
· Negative TB test required annually.
· Valid Drivers License required.
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to:
PO Box 1600
Winston, OR 97496
Application date closed once position is filled.
Wildlife SafariPO Box 1600Winston, OR 97496Phone: 5416796761Fax: 5416794365
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.