AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Job Title: Animal Commissary Technician
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is seeking a Animal Commissary Technician. This entry level position is responsible for efficient and safe preparation of diets for individual and groups of exotic animals. This includes maintaining a sanitary and uncluttered commissary that emphasizes food safety, as well as helping unload vendor shipments. Additional duties may include maintaining the commissary garden and cleaning all areas of the Animal Commissary, including the break area and restrooms. This position is also responsible for maintaining a safe work environment for self, fellow employees, and the animal collection. Th hours are 5am-2pm. The position report to the Animal Commissary Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
• Accurately prepare diets, including raw food handling, weighing, chopping, grinding, mixing, measuring, and packaging.
• Observe strong attention to detail to ensure accurate diets are sent for every animal each day.
• Work closely with all commissary staff, volunteers, and interns to make sure that all daily tasks are completed.
• Properly label and store completed diets to ensure timely pickup by appropriate keeper teams. Must be able to regularly lift completed diet buckets or crates weighing up to 50 lbs. onto cooler shelves.
• Make sure everything is clean and organized for the next day, including produce carts, thawing meat, diet bags and containers, scales, and knives.
• Assist with nutrition related research projects or special dietary needs for animals as directed by Supervisor, Nutrition Manager or Veterinarian.
• Provide timely reports to Supervisor regarding any food quality or diet issues or concerns.
• Assist in the organization and upkeep of inventory in dry storage area, coolers, and freezers.
• Perform daily and other scheduled general cleaning and maintenance of building and equipment.
• Detect and inform supervisor of any problems with food quality, inventory levels, and anything affecting the safety or sanitation of the commissary.
• Maintain refrigerator/freezer temperature logs and records of meat lot numbers.
• Drive to pick up food donations from various donors as-needed.
• Demonstrate familiarity with food safety protocols and sanitation practices to ensure both animal and human safety.
• Participate in cleaning the commissary at the end of every day, including scales, tables, floors, and equipment.
• Assist in training of new employees, students, volunteers, and interns, as directed by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, animal science, biology, food science, or related field preferred.
• Demonstrated interest or experience in food preparation.
• Previous experience in an AZA accredited zoological park is preferred.
All candidates are required to pass a pre-employment background check, including a drug test, physical exam, and possess a valid driver’s license. A negative TB test is also required.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch. Employee must regularly lift and/or move 50 lbs.
• The employee will be required to stand for long periods of time.
• Must be able to work in walk-in coolers and freezers for periods of time
• Employee will be regularly exposed to water, cleaning chemicals, loud noises, etc.
• Employee will be regularly exposed to a variety of produce, nuts, seafood, meat, and rodents.
• Employee may be required to work after hours, weekends, holidays, and evenings as needed for zoo special events.
• Operation of equipment such as pallet jacks or skid loaders may be necessary; therefore, employees must have a willingness to properly train on such equipment as-needed. May also include other equipment like mixers, dicers, and grinders.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
Please apply here: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=24518&clientkey=77B425C21C6E28F6E3B0849B4A14F1B5
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium3701 S 10th StreetOmaha, NE 68107Phone: 4027338401
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.