AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
White Oak conserves and sustains some of the earth's rarest species through sustainable conservation breeding, education, and responsible land stewardship. The conservation programs span 700 acres along the Saint Marys River in northeast Florida, surrounded by 17,000 acres of mixed forest and wetlands that make up the beautiful White Oak property. White Oak serves as a premier hub offering adults and students the opportunity to experience wildlife conservation first-hand through professional training programs and immersive conservation experiences.
White Oak Mission:
Save endangered wildlife and habitats through sustainable conservation breeding, education, and responsible land stewardship.
The elephant specialist delivers exceptional, safe elephant care to advance White Oak’s elephant conservation programs. This position contributes directly to the White Oak Conservation mission by supporting the elephant husbandry program.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• At least 2-3 years of husbandry experience with large ungulates, elephant husbandry experience preferred.
• Experience operating small equipment and farm machinery desired – mowers, weed-eaters, pressure washer, tractor or skid steer loader, utility/stock trailers.
• Engagement and genuine alignment with the mission, values, and vision of White Oak
• Personal interest in, and strong commitment to, conservation, animal care and animal health
• Capacity to work effectively with, and collaborate across, multiple organizational teams
• Ability to lead and influence without authority
• Self-motivated and self-directed
• Inspiring and positive
• Effective communicator
• Motivational and encouraging
• Welcoming, personable
• Capable and knowledgeable decision making, shows good judgement – with level of independence
• Sets positive example, good conduct – safety, animal care, communications
• Flexibility and adaptability – new assignments & projects, area change
• High attention to detail and superior quality of work
• Superior organizational skills
• Sensitive to individual differences and supportive of a diverse workplace
• The ideal team player will:
o be resilient, show initiative, and demonstrate a healthy commitment to going above and beyond,
o focus on team success and define success collaboratively versus individually,
o work with colleagues in mind, be a good listener, and be willing to seek information and assistance when necessary.
Special Working Conditions:
• Must have valid drivers’ license.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, push, pull, carry, or otherwise move objects, climb a 5-foot ladder, and work outdoors in all conditions.
• Exposure to fumes, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays as well as unforeseen emergency situations.
Please submit as an email attachment in ONE document: cover letter, resume/CV, and three professional reference’s contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Elephant’ and the file name: YOURLASTNAME_Elephant2021. Only electronic submissions as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf formats will be considered. Applicants will be considered until the appropriate candidate has been identified.
White Oak Conservation581705 White Oak RoadYulee, FL 32097
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.