AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Responsible for maintaining facility standards and expectations for the appearance and upkeep of assigned exhibits, associated life support systems, and the care of assigned animals. This position will be assigned to specific areas within the aquarium and can also be called upon to assist in other areas.
Minimum Job Requirements: Must be willing to consistently provide guest service above and beyond Mystic Aquarium’s expectations.
• Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
• Five years related experience and/or training, or
• Equivalent combination of education and experience
• Multi-lingual, Spanish preferred
• Working knowledge of the husbandry and welfare of fresh and saltwater fish and invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians
• Knowledge and skills with minor carpentry, plumbing, and painting
• SCUBA certification and ability to pass a dive physical
• Flexible schedule and ability to work evenings/weekends/holidays/overtime, as assigned
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
• Provide exceptional care to all assigned animals and exhibits including daily cleaning, water quality, maintenance, feeding, and health assessments.
• Maintain public display exhibits and back-of-house areas to the highest quality standards.
• Work with departmental leadership and veterinary teams to maintain high animal health standards including participation with procedures and necropsies.
• Maintain current up to date knowledge on biology, ecology, and husbandry of all animals being cared for.
• Participate in the construction and care of exhibit life support systems, including routine preventative maintenance on equipment.
• Participate in the development and implementation of husbandry procedures, techniques, and practices.
• Maintain appropriate written and computerized animal care records.
• Act as mentor and role model for aquarist-level team members.
• Frequent scuba diving in varying conditions.
• Be a role model for staff demonstrating positive customer service and teamwork with other departments and guest at Mystic Aquarium.
• Provide exhibit interpretation to ensure guest education and animal safety.
• Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized, and hazard free.
• Respond to emergency calls.
• Participate in Aquarium related education, PR, and membership programs including facility tours and exhibit interpretation.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Sea Research Foundation, Inc. (dba Mystic Aquarium) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Please visit Mystic Aquarium's website to apply: http://www.mysticaquarium.org
Mystic Aquarium55 Coogan BlvdMystic, CT 06355Phone: 860-572-5955
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.