AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Safety & Security Manager
The Buffalo Zoo is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, and highly articulate individual to serve as the Safety & Security Manager. The position reports directly to the Director of Facilities and Construction. The ideal candidate will possess skills and experience to perform the following main tasks:
Policies / Procedures / Program Development -
Regulatory Compliance -
Training & Education -
Relationships & Team Building -
Education, Experience Required (Minimum Needed):
● Four-year degree in safety management or related field, plus two years’ experience in similar role; or two-year degree in safety management or related field, plus five years’ experience in similar role.
● One or more certifications in OSHA 30, SMS, ASP, OHST, STS, CIH, CHMM, or other.
● Experience performing job safety hazard analysis and implementing behavior-based health and safety best practices.
● Able to proactively and effectively communicate with all levels of staff, and recognize the need to flex and interpersonal skills and styles to support improved understanding and trust.
● Ability to motivate, delegate, provide leadership, counseling, conflict resolution, training and listening, among others in order to successfully implement the health and safety policies and procedures, and recommend corrective actions.
● Training or knowledge of creating comprehensive workplace health and safety programs, including but not limited to, heavy equipment operation, hazardous material handling program, fall protection, confined space, lock-out tag-out, construction safety, first aid, blood borne pathogens, and PPE.
● OSHA 40-hour training course required within 90 days of employment.
● High level of computer skills in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Working knowledge of personal computers and other software applications (Google applications).
● Must be able to communicate effectively (written and oral).
● Must have good organization skills and be able to plan, prioritize and coordinate several projects simultaneously.
● Must possess the ability to handle making tough decisions and handling difficult situations in order to provide value to overall health and safety program at the Buffalo Zoo.
● Must be able to identify problems using investigative processes to analyze and evaluate complex information and ability to utilize creativity, innovation, best judgment, and logical reasoning to resolve these problems.
● Ability to organize and conduct effective training and education programs.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality, both operations and personnel related.
● Thorough knowledge and understanding of OSHA, EPA, and other relevant standards.
● Ability to work effectively and with flexibility in an environment where animal welfare and the safety of the animals, guests and staff are paramount.
● Excellent knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices.
● Understanding and experience working with an Environmental Management Systems (EMS), ISO 14001, or Safety Management System such as OHSAS 18001
● Stays up-to-date on new federal and state health and safety regulations.
● Strong leadership skills to motivate and train staff.
● Experience working in a unionized environment.
● Experience with Incident Command based response system.
● Experience with Just Culture safety management system.
● The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. Use computer hardware and software for extended periods of time (repetitive motion). Sitting for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
● A fitness for duty test will be required in order for the successful candidate to be given further consideration for the position.
Benefits: This is a full-time, exempt position. Some of the benefits available include health plan, life insurance, long term disability, dental, vision, 403B retirement plan, annual leave time, holiday time, and sick time. Benefits are available after the successful completion of an introductory probation period of 60-days of work. Sick time available upon hire. The Buffalo Zoo is an At Will employer and all Buffalo Zoo employees are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well as testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law. Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary range $52,000-$57,000 commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please send resume and cover letter no later than June 25, 2021 in Word document or PDF by email to: email@example.com. No telephone calls please. Position open until filled. For more information about the Buffalo Zoo, please visit our website by the following link: http://www.buffalozoo.org
Full Job Posting - https://buffalozoo.org/about/#careers
Buffalo Zoo300 Parkside AvenueBuffalo, NY 14214Phone: 7168373900Fax: 7168333743
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.