AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Invertebrate Wildlife Care Supervisor will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide through the daily supervision of invertebrate populations and the teams providing their care. This position reports to the Director of Invertebrate Care and Conservation.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
• Supervise assigned staff and assist Director
• Assure compliance with animal welfare standards and other protocols
• Assure compliance with USDA, USFWS and other permit conditions
• Oversee and coordinate reproduction, hatching, and population management programs
• Provide input into assigned budgets and facilitate management of grant labor
• Participate in establishing and updating procedures
• Provide support and guidance to team area leads
• Generate work requests and coordinate completion
• Ensure accurate and complete records of animal activities are maintained
• Assist in planning the development and modification of habitats
• Conduct special tours as required
• Maintain a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests
• Exemplify the highest standard of work ethics
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as required
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife at home and around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to engage with best-in-class conservation work and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
This position will support the day to day needs of staff and wildlife in the Invertebrate Propagation Center, Butterfly Conservation Lab and new invertebrate experience in the Children's Zoo. Candidates must be available to work a flexible schedule, which includes weekdays, weekends, holidays, and evenings.
• Three to five years of paid experience leading or supervising the care and handling of invertebrates in a zoological, museum or university setting is required
• Three years of paid team leadership and performance management is required
• Experience managing a USDA/APHIS PPQ-regulated butterfly or other containment facility is highly desirable
• Experience with ex-situ invertebrate conservation work is highly desirable
• Experience working with represented labor is preferred
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree in entomology, zoology, animal science, or a related field is preferred
• Current and valid California driver license in good standing is required
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to effectively lead and mentor a diverse team
• Ability to collaborate productively with other internal teams and external entities in a dynamic environment
• Understanding of animal welfare concepts and applications in a modern zoo environment
• Understanding of wildlife regulations and conservation implications for invertebrate animals
• Presentation and public speaking skills, as well as the ability to articulate our vision through written components such as consumer articles and blogs
• Use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database systems (Word, Excel, ZIMS, etc.)
• Time management skills and the ability to effectively evaluate staff
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Understanding of union contracts regarding labor use restrictions
• Location: San Diego Zoo
• Duration: - Year round
• Exempt Position: Salary commensurate with experience
• Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description will be provided upon request
• Must complete the Internal Transfer Form (ITF)
***IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN A UNION POSITION AND ARE HIRED FOR A NON-UNION POSITION THERE WILL BE A CHANGE IN BENEFITS SO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO REACH OUT TO YOUR BENEFITS REPRESENTATIVE***
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
Invertebrate Wildlife Care Supervisor - San Diego Zoo - Career Portal (dayforcehcm.com)
San Diego Zoo Wildlife AllianceSan Diego, CA 92101Phone: 16192311515
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.