AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
The Walking Tour Guide performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Walking Tour Guide under general supervision conducts informative, entertaining tours in accordance with specified guidelines. This position reports to the Safari Experiences Supervisor.
This class is distinguished from other guide classes in that it requires less depth of knowledge of the subject matter and is engaged in "walking tours" only.
• Conducts walking tours
• Educates the public and maintains the organization’s image of goodwill
• Answers questions
• Presents a positive, friendly, and outgoing image
• Conducts tours in an organized, safe and timely manner
• Maintains control over the tour group
• Collects tickets
• Assists in coordinating tour departures
• Conducts tours on paths, walkways and behind the scenes areas
• Conducts special tours as required
• Distinguishes animals in camouflaged habitats
• Responds to medical and mechanical emergencies
• Adheres to all SDZWA and department policies and practices
• Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
• Conducts walking tours at the Park or at the Zoo in an informative, entertaining manner
• Provides information about animal and plant collections, history and future growth, including a running commentary on points of interest and animal-related topics
• Answers questions asked by visitors on the tour
• Uses a portable sound system
• May help to maintain the cleanliness of the tour assembly area
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Training and/or experience which would demonstrate the essential functions, knowledge and skills outlined. An example of which would be prior training or education in the life sciences and prior experience in public speaking.
• The principles of public speaking
• Simple techniques for crowd control
• Layout of the Zoo or Safari Park
• Learn basic botanical and zoological information
• Communicate clear and concise via an amplified public address system
• Deal tactfully and courteously with the public
• Understand and communicate instructions and directions
• Operate a portable sound system effectively
• Perform the essential functions and representative duties listed
Exposure to varying weather conditions; work in temperatures above 100 degrees in the summer months at the Park, exposure to dust, allergens, slippery surfaces, and may experience elevated positions.
This position requires significant walking and standing for long periods of time, and reaching overhead and or to the ground; frequent speaking for extended periods of time, and voice fatigue.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A teammate to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park. We are also looking for someone enthusiastic to facilitate guest experience and tours within our Safari Experiences Department, especially with availability to work on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. This role will primarily be working in the Roar & Snore sleepover program area.
Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park - Tours
Duration: Year Round - Part Time
Positions available: 7
(Union position) Starting hourly pay rate: $19.03
*If selected for hire, this position requires an initiation fee and monthly dues to be paid to the union
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER – San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
Walking Tour Guide - Part Time - San Diego Zoo Safari Park - Career Portal (dayforcehcm.com)
San Diego Zoo Wildlife AllianceSan Diego, CA 92101Phone: 16192311515
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.