AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Care Specialist will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by providing for the general care and welfare of assigned exhibit animals. The Wildlife Care Specialist will provide information and answer visitor questions regarding the animals. The Wildlife Care Specialist performs a wide range of semi-routine functions at either the Zoo or San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This class also consistently demonstrates the desire and ability to engage in positive relationships with internal and external customers. This position reports to a Lead or Supervisor.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
• Prepare food and water for exhibit animals
• Load and unload food from trucks
• Feed exhibit animals
• Administer prescribed medication and keep feeding records
• Observe assigned animals
• Report abnormal conditions to superiors
• Clean exhibit areas, pools, animal sleeping areas and service areas
• Clean and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers
• Provides species-appropriate enrichment to assigned animals
• Maintain appropriate health and behavior records on assigned animals
• Respond to questions from the public concerning exhibits
• Provide exhibit security
• Participate in capturing, incapacitating and moving animals
• Participate in and supports animal training programs
• Assist medical staff in treating animals
• Perform minor or routine maintenance on exhibit enclosures
• Report maintenance needs
• Operate a variety of light and medium equipment
• Adhere to all SDZWA and department policies and practices
• Practice the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
Safety: Must be able to safely manage the daily care of non-domesticated wild animals representing multiple dangerous species. This requires the knowledge of and ability to follow SOPs in each animal area.
Decision-making: Must have independent and critical thinking ability to respond appropriately to expected and unexpected animal care situations. Must be able to problem solve based on experience and observation and must be able to follow proper procedures.
Flexibility/Adaptability: Must be able to quickly process and respond to novel situations with professionalism and clear judgment. Must be able to accept irregular shift times, last minute schedule changes, variance in workload, and changing of daily tasks. Must be able to respond appropriately to the collection animals’ dynamic social and physical states. Must be able to work at variable locations (Zoo, Safari Park, field, ICR).
Professionalism: Employees are expected to abide by the SDZWA Rules of Engagement. Must foster a positive work environment that promotes trust and integrity. Must be able to accept responsibility and be accountable. Must make decisions that support the goals of the organization.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Animal husbandry knowledge and background with direct experience working with animals in a zoological setting, a basic understanding of positive reinforcement operant conditioning and animal behavior, experience with common computer systems, and evidence of the ability to work in a team environment. Safety practices around wild animals and guest interactions/public presentations are necessary. Frequent requirements to move moderate to heavy objects and work on uneven terrain with exposure to varying weather conditions, dust, and allergens are components of the position. Selected candidate will also be required to move about on slippery surfaces, handle toxic and/or hazardous materials, and possible exposure to zoonotic diseases. May work from elevated positions and/or in confined or cramped spaces.
Education, training and/or experience which would clearly demonstrate the essential functions, knowledge and skills outlined. A degree or equivalent experience in biology or a scientifically related field from a recognized institution and/or experience working in an accredited zoological facility is highly desired. Examples would be 12 to 16 college credit hours in zoology, animal biology or animal husbandry; or, one to two years of work experience in a Zoo or similar environment where appropriate knowledge and skills in animal care could be acquired. Interested applicants must be available to work any days of the week and any daytime shift with ability to respond to overnight hours during emergencies. This is a full time, approximately 40 hours per week position. A good driving record and a valid driver license is required. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Animal behavior
• Animal biology and zoology
• Care, feeding and handling of wild animals
• Safety practices around wild animals
• Techniques for restraining or capturing wild animals
• Public Speaking
• Respond to cautions from co-workers
• Monitor animal behavior and appearance
• Operate motorized equipment and vehicles
• Use computer programs (Word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and
• Communicate and work effectively with others
• Work in a diverse team environment and motivate others
• Multi-task and prioritize
• Understand and follow directions effectively
• Deal tactfully and courteously with others
• Adhere to the organization’s policies, procedures and regulations
• Competently perform the essential functions outlined above
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
Wildlife Care Specialist (Mammals)- San Diego Zoo Safari Park - Career Portal (dayforcehcm.com)
San Diego Zoo Wildlife AllianceSan Diego, CA 92101Phone: 16192311515
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.