AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
This position is responsible for formulating, directing and enhancing Zoo-wide sustainable practices in alignment with the Zoo’s mission and strategic plan, especially with regard to the built environment. Through collaboration with all departments this position provides support for Houston Zoo staff and third-party vendors to establish and track long-term successful sustainability practices that will reduce the Zoo’s environmental impact.
Our Mission: Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Our Vision: Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
• Manage collaborative teams and directs staff to identify, implement and track Zoo-wide sustainability operations that align with current Houston Zoo needs.
• Leads and track the Zoo’s sustainability strategic plan priority.
• Directs reporting of energy, water, waste and construction tracking.
• Designs sustainable procedures and protocols for Zoo operations.
• Translates all data to evaluate and report on Zoo's environmentally friendly activity.
• Directs Zoo sustainability operations in alignment of Association of Zoos and Aquariums sustainability standards and compile the Zoo’s reporting requirements for AZA sustainability report.
• Serves on the AZA Green Scientific Advisory board.
• Provides sustainability guidance and make decisions to support Houston Zoo programs, staff/departments and third-party vendors through research, planning and tracking.
• Manages consistent sustainability and conservation messaging for website, Facebook, Watering Hole and newsletter.
• Serves on boards, collaborate and coordinate with Houston’s local sustainability community
• Participates in local community sustainability events, workshops, symposia related to Houston Zoo sustainability initiatives.
• Performs public presentations on the Zoo’s sustainability and conservation practices.
• Coordinates scheduling and logistics for Houston Zoo public presentations and programs of the Wildlife Conservation Program, visiting professionals, interns, externs, etc.
• Integrates Wildlife Conservation Program partner’s sustainable practices with HZI practices and report on program progress and successes.
• Acts as a role model and exceptional Houston Zoo representative in all contexts and keeping the best interest of the organization in mind while participating in decision-making processes.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and two (2) years on-the-job or related experience in sustainability
• Strong understanding of Houston’s sustainability standards and practices and other local environmental topics and fundamentals
• LEED accreditation
• Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures are required
• Strong facilitation skills
• Ability to perform multiple tasks at once, prioritize, adapt and solve problems
• Good presentation skills and knowledge of various communication technologies
• Experience in team work and promoting collaboration among cross-functional teams
ABOUT HOUSTON ZOO
The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests. We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
Join the Houston Zoo and become a part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities. Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity
Houston Zoo Inc.6200 Herman Park Dr.Houston, TX 77030
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.